Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day: Miss You

I am looking back in two ways today.

I am not generally one to look back - there is so much to look forward to!  But as I sat at my son's lacrosse game yesterday, I saw so many grandparents and I missed my mom.  My mother moved to our town thirteen years ago when I had my second child.  It was wonderful to have her and it was very good for her too.  My father died very young - in his mid-40s.  At the time, he was a well-respected high school principal and the town honored his life by naming the high school gymnasium after him.  My mother lived many years in that town with those memories - and it wasn't always happy.

My mom truly blossomed when she moved here.  She had two young grandchildren to play with.  When she wasn't playing in the park or taking them for ice cream, I introduced her to card-making.  (For those that know both of us - I started her in card-making!!)  She quickly started our church card-making ministry which became a huge part of that church - and the community, as once people knew that there were racks of cards there, the church got regular visitors!  She was also a Close to My Heart consultant.  Creating cards became her life.

When she died unexpectedly almost six years ago - I knew that I would miss her, but I cannot say I mourned her.  She was a strong Christian and I knew that she had missed my father for over half of her life.  

She had become such an important part of the church, that church members could not believe she had only been part of that church for only seven years.  The church memorial service was postponed almost a month because the choir was doing a European tour but they couldn't imagine not singing at her service. The service was followed by a potluck meal with fried chicken because it was well known that she never missed a good Lutheran potluck!!  We also celebrated her life when all of the church card-makers gathered at her home and raided her stash!   Her stamps, papers and supplies got a new life with each of these card-makers and the church card-making ministry continued.

I love you mom...

Miss You

The inside of that poppy is much nicer in real life.  I used Black and Pitch Black Spica Glitter pens and just started dotting.

Miss You close up


I started by saying that I am looking back in two ways.  The second reason is that I had the honor and the thrill of being part of the first Dynamic Duos design team so I had to play along this week as they celebrate their first anniversary!!  The challenge is to pick a favorite from their past color challenges.  I picked Poppy Parade and Lucky Limeade mainly because I was totally distressed that these two colors didn't make it back into the new color line-up at Stampin' Up.


Happy Anniversary Dynamic Duos!!

  • Stamps: My Favorite Things Pretty Poppies
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Lucky Limeade, Basic Black
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Lucky Limeade, Poppy Parade
  • Accessories: My Favorite Things Pretty Poppies dies and Fishtail dies, Lifestyle Crafts embossing folder, Divine Twine Black Licorice, Spica Glitter Pens in Black and Pitch Black


36 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your heartfelt blog post today. I am so sorry that you have lost both parents already.
    I am so emotional today thinking of my daughter and son-in-law who have been struggling with infertility the last 4 years and I know today will be a very difficult day for them and added to that is the loss of his Mom this past year.
    On a happier note your card is stunning!!! Thanks for joining in the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is lovely, Kim! Your mom sounded like an awesome woman and I'm sorry you lost her. It's wonderful to have so many happy memories of her. I do hope you have a happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful card in honour of the memory of your Mum who sounds like she was loved by many, not least by you. I'm sorry you miss her but am glad that she left such a fabulous legacy and many lovely memories. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim a wonderful story of your Mom, I know you must miss her! Beautiful card today and thank you for sharing with us thisi week at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, what a wonderful story about your Mom. Thank you for sharing. Your card is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful card. thanks for sharing the stories. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing part of your mom with all of us. What a comfort to know that she is waiting for you in heaven! Being a Lutheran, I had a soft chuckle at the pot-luck part...Your mom was smiling down I'm sure. It's hard to live here without our moms, but I know that eternity with them is so much better. Blessings to you on Mother's Day. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful card Kim, and a wonderful family story - memories of our loved ones never fade, nor should they.
    Hugs, Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet, sweet tribute to you Mom. Your card is so stunning. She surely would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post Kim and such a beautiful card in remembrance of your mom. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comment about a good "Lutheran pot luck" brought a smile to my face Kim, since I am also Lutheran :)
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and I can relate, since both of my parents have passed.
    On a happier note...your card is absolutely stunning! That color combination is so striking and you've used it beautifully. I'm so glad you joined us at Dynamic Duos this week. So fun to have a former DT member playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful words about your mom, thank you for sharing Kim. Your card is striking and very elegant. I am sad about these two colours retiring too. Loved having you on the inaugural team my friend.
    Hugs!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the memories of your Mom. I hope you are enjoying your Mother's Day. Love your card ~ the poppy is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim
    Love that Poppy..... Gorgeous stamp and colours....
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok...so now I read your blog posting and am going to comment here too. :)
    Love what you said. Love that you continue card making (it's a ministry you know). Cards have written words that you can't say with your spoken voice. That's a gift Kim..one that you and your mom shared. Cherish it. God's glory on this beautiful spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad I stopped by your blog today, Kim. What a wonderful tribute to your mother. I know you miss her every single day....I miss my mother, too...she's been gone for 5 years. I still feel her presence and I know she lives on but I miss seeing her face and hearing her voice.
    And lastly, your card is just lovely. So very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kim, such a touching and beautiful story about your mom. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. You card is so sweet and I love your poppies and your flower centers are just as amazing as your card. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't it lovely to have Mother's Day each year to give us a reason to reflect! TFS your lovely story! Hope you had a lovely time with your boys on Mother's Day. Love the colours you chose. I was wishing PP had replaced Real Red. Hgs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim, I came here because of your beautiful card, but you've given me so much more with that beautiful story of your Mom! I love that you're joining in at Dynamic Duos to celebrate the anniversary! I would love to see you visiting every week. ;-) I predict that Poppy Parade will come back into the colour line-up. I can't imagine why it was ever dropped. I was distraught!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card, Kims, beautiful thoughts. It's wonderful that you recognize how blessed you were to have such an awesome mother!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card and wonderful words about your mother. My mom passed away in 1986, and even after all these years, Mother's Day is still difficult for me. I loved your comment about the fried chicken and the Lutheran potlucks: I'm Lutheran, too, so I completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kim. A beautiful card and a beautiful post. I loved reading about your Mum and your pride shines through. Love poppies and this one is particulary eye catching. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful post and card, Kim! HUGS! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. What wonderful words, Kim, and what a blessing to have had such a special Mum in your life, and in the lives of your family and friends. A beautiful, beautiful card! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful card and a wonderful tribute to your Mom! My Mom's been gone for 35 years and I still miss her. Especially at Mother's Day! I hope your boys made you feel as special as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful card and what a beautiful blog post! Thanks for sharing this with us. You are blessed having had a mother like that!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kim, your mother sounds like she was a very special lady. I feel very fortunate that you shared these special memories here. The vibrancy of the colors on your card seem to match the vibrancy of her personality and this is a wonderful homage to her.

    I hope you had a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your card is beautiful and so is your story about your Mom. I'm sure both she and your father are watching over you from heaven <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's lovely to read your memories of your Mum, it's wonderful that you had her so close to you in her latter years and were able to share in your faith and hobbies together.
    Your card is touching and beautiful... poppies are my favourite :0)
    jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  31. What can I say... big hug across the airwaves. I'm thinkin' you're doing a pretty good job of filling her shoes...
    Oh, and this poppy. It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely stunning card. The scoring on the side is so elegant. A beautiful creation and a beautiful post. Glad you came back to visit at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous card Kim and thanks for sharing...moms can never be replaced can they, but we have our lovely memories always and they live forever in our hearts :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Reading the story that goes together with this card makes your card so much more powerful. It's a beautiful card and a beautiful story :) it sounds as though your mother had a blast with you, your family and your church and I imagine she is doing the same now with your father ;) I think that gives you something to look forward to as well, just not in the near future! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. gorgeous...perfectly stamped and laid out...and I adore that embossed edge.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your mother sounds wonderful ! I'm so glad she found some happiness when she moved to your town after your father died. I am sorry for your loss Kim.
    The poppies on this beautiful card are gorgeous with that center and bright color.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!