Tuesday, May 21, 2013

CASology: One Day I'll Be Queen

I was thrilled a few weeks ago when I was asked to be a guest designer at CASology.  But I learned a hard lesson - always ask the theme for your guest week before you say "yes".  CASology is full of wonderful challenges - recently the Cue Word has been "bloom", "hexagon" and "care".  This week, however, is out of my comfort zone.  The cue word is....


It really threw me for a loop.  I don't have a stash of princess or queen stamps.  I do have one frog prince but he looked a little dated.  I thought about going diva with a crown - I know I have seen dozens of funny diva stamps, but I searched all over online and couldn't find anything.   I'm sure there are "royal" flowers.  I even toyed with using royal blue or royal purple.  (So now I have made up for my whining by giving you lots of ideas!!!)

I ended up going for a "royal" butterfly.  There are "queen" butterflies and "monarch" butterflies and even "viceroy" butterflies - all very royal!  Ancient Greeks considered butterflies royal because they were the souls of those who passed away.  I didn't put my butterfly in a "royal" setting but beautiful butterflies can sit on a weed and be spectacular!!

You're In My Thoughts


I did start out thinking kings and queens, and my first attempt went in an entirely different direction than butterflies.  Even though I am not entirely satisfied with this card (it leaves me flat and I just can't figure out why), I thought I would show you anyway. I used pennants - thinking castle decorations.  I stumbled upon the top of my sentiment panel by accident.  I had a few scraps of the gold cardstock left that matches my diagonal stripe.  I measured, cut and border punched - but I used my border punch on the wrong side.  I didn't have any more CS left - so I just used it on the top.  It looks like castle turret - I think it works!!

One Day I'll Be Queen

I really am looking forward to seeing what other "royal" ideas you come up with!!

My heart and prayers are with all of us who have experienced
such loss and devastation in the last few days.  I pray especially for
those parents whose children are still missing this morning.
May our Lord provide miracles today, strength in the days to
come and healing for the future.
Royal Butterfly
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Papillon Potpourri, Verve Amazing Wishes
  • Paper: white
  • Ink: Memento black, Copics
  • Accessories: Papertrey Ink cloud dies, Quickutz Goosebumpz (old 2x2 embossing folders - I don't think they are even sold anymore), Stampin' Up Butterfly Punch, misc sequins
Royal Princess
  • Stamps: Lizzie Anne Once Upon A Time
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Primrose Petals, American Crafts My Girl Paper Pad, Simple Stories Snap Color Vibe (the diagonal stripe)
  • Ink: Memento Black
  • Accessories: Cuttlebug Embossing, MFT Fishtail dies, My Mind's Eye Ginger Relax Twine, misc buton

20 comments:

  1. Perfect take on the cue card Kim! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed the "royal" them on this card. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim: I echo your prayer to those devasted by the tornadoes; may all loved ones be safely reunited, through the powers of miracles, strenght and healing.

    You've worked the 'royal' theme wonderfully in both cards, especially the butterfly! Beautiful! Thanks for the ideas you've shared; my stash doesn't have much by way of royalty either, which is rather curious, given I consider my niece a princess and my nephew a prince (only in good ways!). Thinking cap tied on tightly for this challenge! Enjoy your Tuesday,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your butterfly just glows Kim! Both cards a wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not one but two AWESOME takes on Royal - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim,
    Firstly, I want to say CONGRATS on being Guest Designer this week! Your cards are absolutely beautiful (as always), and I enjoyed reading about your struggle with this week's cue :-)
    I love how you created texture behind your royal butterfly, and your shading is gorgeous! I also love how you designed your second card...so clever, and the sentiment is perfect!!!

    I also want to thank you for your eloquent thoughts about the loss and devastation in the heartland of our country. I too, am praying for miracles and for all those who lost their loved ones over the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what fabulous cards here Kim, just love them both equally! Well done on the GD spot too. My heart also goes out to all those affected by the terrible devastation in Oklahoma :( Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job with the challenge, I think with both cards! Congrats on being a guest designer....
    I've been praying too for those affected by the terrible devastation My heart also goes out to those who lost their love ones and homes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning butterfly, Kim ... it positively glows against those textured clouds! Love how you showcased the 'Princess' sentiment ... a regal frame and yes, a turret!

    Amen to your very special prayer.

    Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. both cards are absolutely fabulous takes on the cue word... you definitely nailed this one! love that gorgeous butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, your cards are fabulous as always! Love that beautiful royal butterfly on the first one - such pretty colors, together with the sequins and textured clouds. And I adore the castle turret on the 2nd card as well as those pennants - you really do have an eye for what works well together!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea to choose a butterfly, the card is so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, you've used the cue word perfectly...with BOTH cards! :)
    I love your butterfly representation as I adore butterflies out in nature and find them fascinating!
    I love the sentiment on your adorable princess/queen card! Too funny!
    So happy to have you as our guest designer this week! Your cards are always a joy to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim I love your cards, the texture on your clouds is fantastic. Love the quote on your second card. Thank you for Guest Designing for us this week at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great cards!! love those clouds!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim, I loved hearing your thought process, especially because i went through the same one! (However, I stopped when I hit royal blue!) Butterglies did cross my mind, they are majestic and regal in so many ways. I love your butterfly card, that orange pops against all that lovely crisp white. The queen card is also adorale and fun...totally royal! So glad to have you guest designing this week at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love them both - especially the butterfly one - fantastic. I'll never think of butterflies quite the same now - Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a tough cue word this week... your butterfly is gorgeous and I love the textured clouds behind it .
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, Kim! You sure know how to improvise when you need to. Love both ... But enjoyed your little vent even more! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!