Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Freshly Made Sketches: Marigold Birthday

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Jacquie and here’s what I did with it!
 
Birthday Marigolds


I haven't bought a lot of stamps lately - I've bought a lot of dies, but not stamps. I think I've gravitated towards dies because of the amazing dimension you can get just by layering a few of them up.  But when I saw this stamp set, the dimension created by the two layers just called my name! On the other hand, I got a little frustrated because I had a really tough time getting that bottom layer to completely stamp.  I kept getting white spots even with the stamp-a-ma-jig and the tool you can use to apply pressure and even with the new stamp erasers I got to condition new stamps.  Ugh. It all reminded me why I like dies so much. But I eventually got a good image and I am loving the results.

This is going to a gardener so I wanted to be fairly realistic.  I don't know flowers - but apparently marigolds run from yellow to orange to red so I pulled out my favorite yellow and orange.  The leaves were a bit tougher. Most of the images I looked at had quite dark green leaves so I went darker but these aren't green-tones I generally like. I'm hoping it's close to right for the gardening recipient but when I use again for fun, I'm brightening them up!

I love the fonts on the sentiments in the Marigold Moment set but there's only three - a mother's day and two for thank yous.  I didn't need those sentiments. I'd pay a lot for a full set of sentiments in those fonts so I had a full selection!  But I had to dig deep and came up with the look I wanted in a birthday sentiment in the old Petite Pairs set. 

I hope to see you playing along with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Stampin' Up Marigold Moments and Petite Pairs

Dies: Stampin' Up Marigold Moments and Scalloped Contours

Ink: Stampin' Up Mango Melody, Daffodil Delight, Garden Green, Evening Evergreen

9 comments:

  1. Before I read your post, my first thought was "look at that beautiful layering on the stamps!" I think what you said is why I gravitate to different dies too. But your card is gorgeous and looks perfect! Love that golden color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and a great take on the sketch. Those colors are so pretty and I am sure your gardening friend will love it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like this! What a pretty card, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sunny marigold was worth the effort Kim - it's beautiful! Dies do make things easier though, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful marigolds - love the balance of this design, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These marigolds are so pretty! I love the sweet little dragonfly too! Your gardener friend will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the perfect marigold color combination! What a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to scroll back up and take another look at those flowers when I read they were just two layers! They look so dimensional! Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!