Sunday, December 4, 2011

Freshly Made and colourQ: Reindeer and Ornaments

I like to play along with Freshly Made Sketches as often as possible.  They have a requirement that the card be "clean" - not necessarily simple - and that is exactly my style.

With this week's sketch, I pictured Christmas ornaments.  Then I decided to go a unique direction and pair it withe blues in this week's colourQ challenge.

That's when things started getting out of control!!  Wouldn't the background look nice with some white, sparkly spritz.  Then I should sponge the edges.  Then I needed to add some glitter to the top of each ornament because of the snow.  And pretty soon this card was out of my personal definition of  "clean"!  But I LOVE it - it's one of my favorite Christmas cards this year.


I spritzed it with Mr. Huey's sprays - both Calico White and Calico Shine.


Here's the sketch....
Here's the colors...


So I decided that I wouldn't be posting that card for Freshly Made and I had to make another.  I'm going to show you both of them in this post so you can see how wildly different cards can be made with the same sketch.  (I recently read a blog post...not one of my faithful followers/commenters so no one take offense...that stated how much she hated sketch challenges because they were so limiting.)  Limiting??!!  Check out this card and see how "limited" that I was...


An entirely different look, isn't it??

The reindeer is from an old Stampin' Up set called Holiday Sampler.  I found it when I was rummaging around for a sentiment for the first card - it was literally dusty!!  So I simply had to use it.

I ran a glue pen around the edge of each piece and dipped it glitter for a subtle shine.


Of course, any one who dislikes sketch challenges is obviously wrong...but it's OK that I really dislike inspiration challenges!!

THREE ORNAMENTS:
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Oh My Word (ornament), Season of Joy (sentiment)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Whisper White, Sahara Sand, Marina Mist
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue, Sahara Sand, Colorbox Frost White
  • Accessories: Mr. Huey Calico White and Calico Shine, Martha Stewart snowflake border punch, Stampin' Up Marina Mist Taffeta, sparkly twine and Decorative Ornament Punch (just the top)
RUDOLPH AND HIS PALS:
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Holiday Sampler, Teeny Tiny Wishes
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Garden Green, Frostwood Lodge dsp, Red Glitter Paper
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Cherry Twine, Garden Green Grosgrain, Oval punch, border punch, label and modern label punch, Cuttlebug snowflake folder

24 comments:

  1. Kim, I adore both of your cards! I love how you've used the snowflake punchies on your first card, to embellish the ornaments. Even though you've sponged and spritzed, and 'blinged', your first card, it is still 'clean' and utterly gorgeous!! The reindeer card is so cute; love it. (I'll sheepishly admit to struggling with sketch challenges - I much prefer colour challenges!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are gorgeous! The blue ornaments are beautiful with all the sparkle...those reindeer are the cutest paired with the Frostwood lodge dsp...wish that stamp was still around!! THanks for joining Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say both cards qualify! Your first one is absolutely gorgeous and the second is absolutely adorable! You have such a flair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide which card I like more! I love the glam and glitter on the first one and the adorable sweetness on the second. And I agree with Linda that both cards qualify! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! From extremely elegant to extremely adorable, both are incredibly talented cards! Thanks for sharing these with us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both cards are fantastic! I'm in love with those adorable reindeer. Love that embossed background too. I'm new to sketch challenges but I'm really liking them. So far I've only done scrapbook layout sketches. Need to get busy with some card sketches. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clean or not, I LOVE your ornament card! That is the BEST one of all the submissions at Colour Q ! Happy holidays and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow .... your cards are just beautiful ... love the elegance and sparkle of the blues and I love the cuteness and whimsical of the reindeers ... both are fabulous and perfect!
    Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those wee snowflakes with the reindeer Kim! Both cards are awesome! You could enter the first one too!! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first is stunning and so beautiful and the second is super cute. I have this retired SU set somewhere and you've inspired me to find it and use it again. Love them both. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you showed the flexibility of a sketch in one post! It always amazes me how many interpretations there can be! Both of these are fantastic! So glad you joined us (twice) at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    Jen Timko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two completely different takes on the sketch, and both turned out beautifully! The sparkle and tinsel on the first card are absolutely lovely--I can see why it's one of your favorites. Thanks for joining us again this week at the ColourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are stunning, I would say that both cards qualify for FMS. I love your first card - it's so elegant with the colors you used and the shimmer. Your second card is gorgeous as well with the cute reindeer and the accents you added with the twine and glitz! Thanks for playing along with Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards but I think your baubles win it for me. Lovely to see them in blues. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both gorgeous cards :) :) :) But the baubles would have to be my fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness....these are both absolutely SWEET!!! Not "limiting" at all---you really rocked the sketch as well as the CQC challenge! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, they are both awesome! I love the colors and sparkle of the first and the clean lines of the second one. One is elegant while the other is fun! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always love your gorgeous cards, Kim!!! Thanks so much for playing at the colourQ this week & congrats and being named a colourQueen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kim..I didn't get round to see this card and now it's won at ColourQ...not surprised, it's brilliant:) So sparkly and pretty, love the subtle boughs too.
    You're so right about sketches, they are such a great 'jump off' point for designing and I also share your dislike for inspiration photos too ;)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two gorgeous cards Kim, and big congratulations on your win at ColourQ, so well deserved! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I saw your ornament card in my blog reader the other day I said to myself that it was a definite winner - and it is! Congrats on being Colour Queen!

    I'm not a sketch fan but not because I think they're limiting. They just stress me out for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on being selected as this week's Colour Queen! Your card is beautiful and sooo deserving! Happy I found your blog...you've got a new subscriber! Happy Holidays! Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! 2 entries! You must be soooo organised! Love the bauble one ... the colours are delicious! The rudolph one is super fun. I am so envious that you are finding time to do these FUN challenges. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both great cards Kim. Absolutely love the colours, the baubles & the snowy background of the first. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!