Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Freshly Made Sketches: Serene Bird

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Judy and here’s what I did with it!
 
Serene Bird


I love the look of the Serene Bird from Memory Box; it's absolutely perfect for a sentiment that includes "peace". I used the branch that comes with it as one of my banners. 

The rest of the card was a stretch for me but I love how it turned out.  First, I am not a huge fan of classic red and green. I know that's blasphemy for a cardmaker who does Christmas.  I struggle to use it on the clean white-background cards that I lean towards which is probably more of a statement on my cardmaking skills than on the colors!!  I love the colors toned down a bit - in Stampin' Up colors that would be Sweet Sorbet or Poppy Parade along with Parakeet Party or Granny Apple Green. OR I love classic red and green on kraft.  But I do love this paper pack from Stampin' Up and this piece had the blues and wheat and even some pops of white so I went with it.

Second, I would have said with certainty that I did not like the new color, Wild Wheat, but I do like it here.  I planned on a blue background for the bird and I tried them all but they didn't stand out enough against the pattern. So I hesitantly pulled out my Wild Wheat paper and I ended up loving the richness of it.  I can't say I'm a convert but I see that it has its place!

Do you love the pink color cast of the photo?  You should have seen it before I did some color correcting! It's due to the massive and truly gorgeous red maple outside my craft room window.  I wouldn't trade it for the world but there's a number of weeks where everything in my house has a pink/red color cast!  (FYI - I just use a freebie photo editor and it doesn't have the power to only color correct the background. If I take out the rest of the pink, the card itself changes to some truly odd colors!)

I hope to see you playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

SUPPLY LIST

Dies: Memory Box Serene Bird and Branch

Paper: Stampin' Up Garden Walk 6x6 dsp, cardstock in Wild Wheat, Garden Green and Poppy Parade

7 comments:

  1. That is a pretty bird! This is a wonderful Christmas card, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE everything about your card that isn't your favorite bit, Kim!! lol That paper is gorgeous, as is the color of the wheat card stock, and I don't even mind the pink-ish cast of your absolutely fabulous bird!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the white bird against the colors you chose for the backdrop! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! The colors and the elegance. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw this, I fell in love with the color scheme. Not my go-to either but it really works! The pink is a worthy sacrifice for enjoying the color. Ours has been good but, alas, the leaves are falling pretty fast now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also not a fan of red and green together, or any complementary colours really. But this is one gorgeous card and that bird is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely Kim - the white dove balances that bold paper perfectly. I don't know why but I struggled to create something I was happy with using this sketch this week (creative block!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!