Saturday, March 14, 2015

Love, Laughter and Butterflies

Today is Monika's birthday (M.A.D. Stamper).  Monika and I serve on the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge team together.  Happy Birthday Monika!!

Monika has a beautiful style.  Lots of watercolor washes and soft bokeh patterns - vellum, butterflies and that wonderful loopy thread look that I can never quite manage!!  This card really shows off her style.  I love the way she has made the pattern get misty at the edges.  I am inspired by all of her cards but much of what she does so beautifully is way outside of my comfort zone.  I have never made a watercolor background that I like.  I've never tried the bokeh technique and just didn't want this birthday card to be my first try.  I tried the loopy thread behind my butterfly, but I think I need lessons, or maybe smaller fingers, to make it look good!!  In the end, I simply used stamps to do some color swipes in blues, I added a splash of sequins and put a little vellum behind my butterfly.

Love & Laughter

You can see the polka-dotted vellum a little bit better in this picture.  I love how a hint of vellum can soften the whole card.

Love & Laughter Close

I used Taylored Expressions products on this card.  The flutter-bys die is my favorite butterfly (it comes in this size and a smaller size).  I also love the font in the sentiment from In & Out Birthday- I used a "happy birthday" on the inside with the same font.  The sequins are from the Build a Scene sequins collections which is full of whites, clear, and various blues and aquas.  
Monika is a fabulous TE user.  She recently did a card with the newly released Forever & Always die with a stunning plum bokeh background that is absolutely lovely.  She also did a card using last month's cross dies and a bit of cheesecloth.  Thank you for all of your inspiration Monika!!

SUPPLY LIST

With apologies, I have absolutely no idea what ink ended up on this card.  I experimented with about a dozen blues and aquas, and just don't remember what actually ended up on this card


10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Kim! Your stamped swipes are the perfect backdrop for the stunning butterfly and lovely sentiment! Your captured Monika's style beautifully, infusing it with you own. She'll love this, as do I.
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why you are you and she's Monika I guess. That's why I like your cards so much. Stay true to your own style en create what suits your talents, which are quite a few. :-)
    She's gifted, but so are you.
    Love your card, the soft and elegant touch of vellum and sequins.
    Gorgeous colorcombo too.
    Perfect, she'll be so pleased with your card, because you made it in your own style. :-)
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ps. I had to take a look on her blog as well, and it's also very artsy and creative, loved her card with the cross and cheesecloth.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Kim!! You nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! this card is beautiful. I love the blues you used and the touch of vellum behind the butterfly. Wonderful, wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card Kim! I like the swoosh of color behind your pretty butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, you are so thoughtful and wonderful. Thank you for the beautiful birthday card. What a wonderful surprise it was. So pretty. I love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Kim. I think the splashes of color look just like water color! That's a great background for the pretty butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card, Kim! Love the soft colors, the sentiment, and the layered butterfly---especially the polka dotty vellum (fabulous!!)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!