Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Freshly Made Sketch: Thinking of You

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches!


This is one of those cards that changed on me midstream.  I started out with blues and corals and confetti.  Doesn't look much like that now, does it?

Thinking of You in browns

The cardmaking process can be roundabout.  I truly had all of the papers out for the other card, but after I rearranged them a dozen times (confetti paper as base, balloons on top - nope - what about confetti down the side and polka dots instead of balloons - you know how it goes), then I couldn't find a sentiment, I swept it all to the side and started fresh!  I really need to start listening to that little voice, because I struggled with the first card for quite some time - but this one came together in minutes!!

I hope to see you playing along this week!

SUPPLY LIST
I'm not sure if the link to the paper will work for long.  It's We R Memory Keepers Free Spirit.  I recently picked mine up on sale at Hobby Lobby.  Now that I'm trying to link it - it's mainly at places like Createforless or Overstock.  I linked the one scrapbook store that I could find.

Also, I linked the basic Fishtail Layers die but I never know whether I am using the basic set or the Layers set which is in between those in the basic set.

21 comments:

  1. Ahhh yes I have had those days many times when things derail and I end up with something totally different! I love your final floral design! Pretty mix of pattern and color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I, too, have often taken the roundabout approach to creating a card, and as you've noted, the journey to what results is typically much shorter than the fiddling and fixing. "Design innovation"...and your innovation is lovely!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, that's something I experience often!!
    anyhow, your card is lovely! Love the background DP too!
    bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter where it started... it ended perfectly Kim!
    beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing,Kim!! Just amazing! I love the pattern,the big flower and leave!! Awesome colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pp as the background Kim and that layout is just gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration over at FMS! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card!! I like that pretty paper you used in the background. The colors are so lovely.

    I have done this too. Struggled with a card, set it aside and make another card. It is so aggravating since I am a slow card maker to begin with!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the forcing a card, Kim. Every time I do, I don't like it. You just have to go where the design leads you and this one went in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well your creative process for this card sounds like mine sometimes. You're so right that we should listen to that inner voice - it really does know best! I love the card you ended up with. The flower is perfect against these layers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just hate it when what should be an easy card turns into a marathon of frustration!! This one is pretty Kim, glad it went together quickly for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adore this, Kim :) Great BG paper and the scalloped piece is brilliant with that great flower and leaf. Oh yes, I can relate to card frustration - I too have learned to walk away when you have to work too hard to make something come together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I love that scallop die - I seem to be being enabled by everyone on the DT this week :) I'm glad your card came together in the end - this is certainly a fantastic card and looks totally worth the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty, love the flower and that sweet patterned paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kim! This card is beautiful! I love that background paper and the matching flower! That border is just fabulous! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So the little voice in your head won out. I find that happens to me all the time, lol! I guess this sweet little card really wanted to be made. Well worth it. It's really lovely! Great use of the sketch!! Wonderful!! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to laugh at your design process -- I can totally relate. I love how this card turned out. The floral dsp in the background works perfectly with the pretty flower as your focal point. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It may have taken a turn, but it was a wonderful path. I love the flower and the leaves as the banner is just genius.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just beautiful Kim - I love the colours you've used here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I scrolled past your other two recent cards to get te this one, I thought "These really ARE Joyful Creations"! You do such beautiful work. I love all the different parts of this card.. the beautiful flower, the scalloped edge piece, the background DSP, well, all of it! Gorgeous and oh, so feminine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!