Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Butterfly That Fought Back

Set 281 and 282 - Winged Things, Labelicious

I saw this morning's SplitCoast Sketch Challenge and then went through my remaining Stampin' Up sets to find something that would fit.  I couldn't find anything that fit the main panel exactly.  Then I had the thought that I would add the butterfly from Winged Things at the top of the panel.  For the sentiment I saw that I still had the Labelicious set to use, and the scrolls around the Celebrate sentiment seemed to fit nicely with the butterfly.  Plus, I envisioned a nice ribbon treatment to work for the long panel on the sketch challenge.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself for coming up with this.

That was 10 hours ago.

I didn't actually work at it for 10 hours.  I did have to get kids to school, wait in line at the UPS store, buy 150 plates and cups for my son's band concert, also some groceries to make goodies for the concert. I had to set up the church for confirmation at Wednesday Night Family Faith Formation and practice the organ for duets that we are doing on Christmas Eve.  I had to pick up my oldest at 11 a.m. because his finals for the day were over.  Then I had to hassle with him to make him realize that he DID have one more day of finals and couldn't just play video games because he was out of school early.

But in between all of that, I kept playing with my idea.  I tried bright, colorful paper.  I Copic'ed the butterfly, then I watercolored him.  I tried muted papers.  I tried stamping in black and then in brown and then in various colors.  I've never had a butterfly fight back as hard as this one did!!

But at some point in my day, I thought - monochromatic!!  Emboss the darn butterfly in white and use monochromatic dp on the card.  It's not a great card, but I really like it.  And, in the end, it took 10 minutes to do!  (I do wish that he was flying the other way, but I can't have everything!)

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Winged Things, Labelicious
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Peach Parfait
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Peach Parfait, Peach Parfait dsp
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Pumpkin Pie striped grosgrain, Stampin' Up punch, Cornish Heritage Farms Glacier White Embossing Powder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!