The step: Rub ink on the edges of each of your layers!
Your card will appear to have even more layers and each layer will appear slightly popped.
Here's a simple example:
(I feel a little bit like those cheesy weightloss infomercials. I have the most unflattering photo possible for the BEFORE! I haven't glued anything down in the BEFORE so I can take it apart and ink the edges so I have to photo it just laying there flat!)
I know that it is very subtle. If you just saw the AFTER, you might not even notice it. It's so simple, I just rubbed each panel across the ink pad.
I particularly like it on a card like this that has a black stamped image and sentiment but no other dark colors. I always feel like the black stands out too much. By rubbing a little black on the edges, I have balanced the black image and added shadows. I wouldn't have wanted to add black mats - that would be too much - just this very small touch of ink!
Here's another example:
The curves on the sentiment layer make it hard to rub on an ink pad so in this case, I just rubbed it on a marker.
I did the green and the patterned paper layers as indicated earlier by rubbing across an ink pad. But simple rubbing didn't give the image enough contrast. So in this case I used a cotton ball.
|Tap a cotton ball on a brown pad.|
|Start away from your layer.|
|Pull the ink onto your layer.|
A last example:
This is a card that I have previously published, but I took pictures when I made it and I am reprinting it here because I think it is a rather startling difference.
|Look between the pink & green. |
It's plain, too little contrast and the
brown mat on the flower looks lonely.
|Just a quick rub of chocolate|
and you appear to have
another brown mat!
(Details on this card can be found here.)
I do want to thank Kris (parkerquilter on SplitCoast) or at Nostalgic Collage. I hang out in her craft room a couple of times a month and I watch her rub all of her edges with ink!
YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE (Set 277 - Furnished with Love)
- Stamps: Stampin' Up Furnished with Love
- Ink: Staz-On Black, So Saffron and Bashful Blue Stampin' Up Markers
- Paper: Stampin' Up Pumpkin, Washington Apple dsp
- Accessories: Gold Glimmer Mist (a circle spritzed around the lamp), misc orange rhinestone, orange stickles on the fringe
- Challenges: Layout from Techno Stamper
THINKING OF YOU with LIGHTHOUSE (Set 278 - Uncharted Territory)
- Stamps: Stampin' Up Uncharted Territory, Three Little Words (sentiment)
- Ink: Stampin' Up Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Marina Mist and Early Espresso markers (Espresso only to ink the edges)
- Paper: Stampin' Up Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Marina Mist
- Accessories: Stampin' Up Linen Thread, Modern Label Punch, Tim Holtz embossing folder, Creative Impressions brads
- Challenges: Layout from the sweetest thing (turned sideways)
ETRUSCAN CHRISTMAS (Set 279 - Etruscan)
- Stamps: Stampin' Up Etruscan
- Ink: Stampin' Up Garden Green and Soft Suede markers, Soft Suede pad for edges
- Paper: Stampin' Up Cherry Cobbler, Garden Green, Hobby Lobby Heartwarming Holiday Christmas pad
- Accessories: Martha Stewart border punch, ribbons from Joann, misc circle and scalloped circle punches
- Challenges: SplitCoast Stampers Friday Free 4 All to do a Christmas card "on the fly", i.e. in under 15 minutes and the layout from Card Patterns.