Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NOT Bravo Burgundy...yuck!!

When I saw the title of today's SplitCoast Color Challenge, I had an instant "eeeew...yuck!"  It includes Bravo Burgundy which I NEVER use.  And then Betty paired it with the gorgeous Baja and Pear.  I was amused when I opened up the post and saw that she had done this very deliberately - pairing the "unloved" Bravo Burgundy to make it "bravo" with the other "much loved" colors!  I really didn't know that others shared my disdain of Bravo Burgundy.  I loved when Stampin' Up retired their colors and there was much chatter about "Yo Yo Yuck" and "Fairy Vomit" (Orchid Opulence) - but I hadn't heard the dislike of Bravo Burgundy.

So, I cringed and then tried to find a beautiful dsp that would distract from the Burgundy.


I LOVE this!  It's way out of my normal style - I don't tend toward dsps unless they are a subtle monochromatic print or come from Stampin' Up so they perfectly coordinate.  I definitely don't use big bold prints and I never put a color in that is not in the dsp.  There's no burgundy in that dp.  But now that I have it done, I can't imagine any other color for the butterfly or bottom layer. 

So...flushed with success...I tried another card using another dsp that I had run across on my search for the above card.


This may start a trend for me!!  Actually, probably not.  We all have our style - and while it is very enjoyable to branch out sometimes, I always go back to a clean, simple, solid-cardstock-based cards.

With Sympathy
  • Stamps: PaperTrey Ink Out On A Limb (sentiment)
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Early Espresso, Creamy Caramel (on the edges)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz, Bravo Burgundy, DCWV Mariposa Stack
  • Accessories: Martha Stewart Butterfly Punch, Stampin' Up Leaf Sizzlit, Oval and Scalloped Oval Punches, Baja Breeze Seam Binding
  • Challenges: SplitCoast Stampers Color Challenge

Blessed To Have You
  • Stamps: Verve sentiment
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Early Espresso, So Saffron (on the edges)
  • Paper: PaperTrey Hawaiian Shores, Stampin' Up So Saffron, K&Co Susan Winget Nature
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Gold Cord and Saffron Ribbon, Prima Bright Mix Flowers, Bazzill Brads (Glow), Marvy Punches, Mark Richards Gold Nailheads
  • Challenges: CardPatterns Sketch Challenge

3 comments:

  1. These colours are so cute you've choosen! Your card is wonderfool! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kim they are both gorgeous and fab use of DSPs. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are beautiful! I love the patterned paper on your CP card! Thanks for joining us at Card Patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!