Monday, January 22, 2024

Sending Birthday Wishes

I'm a very late adopter of this set.  When it came out over a year ago, it was going to be the first thing that I got but I saw so many other people using it in marvelous ways, I just wasn't sure I'd have any ideas for something new. But I just couldn't let it go and was part of a recent order. Then I saw two challenges that inspired me to use it right away: the sketch at Try a Sketch on Tuesday and the colors at As You See It

Sending Birthday Wishes


I saw those skinny panels on the sketch and immediately knew I'd use three of the tall skinny flowers from the set. The long sentiment panel was just right for the long "sending" die along with the one of the add-on sentiments (the sentiments are the reason that I got the set!)  I can't remember the last time that I used ribbon but I wanted to honor the component of the sketch next to the sentiment. A star wasn't quite right on my card, but a little bow worked.

The colors also immediately caught my eye with the bright and beautiful photo that inspired them. I am not a huge fan of Mossy Meadow but I moved ahead anyway. It's less the actual color of Mossy Meadow, but more that I've never been able to get a photo of it without it turning super dark. In fairness to Mossy Meadow, I use the camera on my phone and a big window for light with a cheap LED desk lamp if I need to get rid of some shadows. So of course my photos don't work perfectly with my quick and easy photo set up!

To include the Mossy Meadow, I started out by varying the greens on the stems but I hurt me not have three greens to change the greens across all three of them so I went with Granny Apple Green on the stems but it worked out really well.  The deeper Mossy Meadow gave the sentiment the pop it needed from all of the detail behind it. 

Thanks to the inspiration from Try a Sketch on Tuesday and the As You See It challenge.  

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Stampin' Up Sending Smiles

Dies: Stampin' Up Sending Dies

Cardstock: Stampin' Up Melon Mambo, Mossy Meadow

Ink: Stampin' Up Granny Apple Green, Melon Mambo and Crushed Curry

Other: Stampin' Up Glitter Enamel Dots

12 comments:

  1. You found the perfect challenges for that sweet set! Cute card, Kim. I think your polka dot bow is much nicer than a star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful birthday card! That's such a fun SU stamp set! Thanks for sharing with us at TSOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty with the sentiment across the flowers. Thanks for sharing with us at TSOT :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, duly pinning this Kim - I have this set and love it too and would never have thought to use it in this way (especially with that sketch) - I love it! I love the addition of the ribbon bow and the way you balanced our bold colours with lots of white space too. Thanks for playing along with us over at As You See It this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, what a beautiful interpretation of our TSOT sketch! I love all the dimension and texture you've incorporated into your card!! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic card! I love the way you've used this set. I was feeling like you about it: that'd I'd missed the boat on it and that there wasn't anything much new to do with it. You've shown me otherwise. It's a lovely use of our bold colours and I really like the clean look of your design. Thanks for playing along with us at As You See It.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your choice of florals on your three panels, so pretty, and bow embellishment is perfect for your card. Thanks for sharing with us at TSOT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you've used the sketch and the colours, Kim. Everything is so balanced and appealing! That SEND sentiment really does a great job for the horizontal element, and the ribbon is such a pretty addition. The colours are used in just the right amount to be pretty and not overpowering! Thanks for joining our gallery at As You See It Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Great take on the TSOT sketch. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty card. You were right - the tall flowers are perfect for this sketch. I like the way the white/black sentiment die cut pops against the colors. Thanks for joining us at Try A Sketch On Tuesday.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you, Kim, I purchased this set late and haven't even used it yet! Love what you did with it though...beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at Try a Sketch on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim...this is such a beautiful graceful card! It suits the challenge perfectly by showing off this bright colors so well. I have yet to buy this set and it is one of my favorites but I feel the same and don't think I could do it justice like you did! Thank you for joining us at AYSI!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!