Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Freshly Made Sketches: Birthday Candles

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Linda and here’s what I did with it!

Sending Birthday Wishes


I definitely forced this sketch to be what I needed - but I like how it worked out!!  I needed a birthday card for a teenage girl.  I quickly hit on the idea of candles with a sparkly circle behind it (for the glow of the candles in case I'm the only one who sees it that way!)  I was thinking smaller candles - but then the light bulb came on to fill most of the circle with candles. It seemed more contemporary for the teenager. I found some fun paper and pulled all my colors from there.

I did this whole card watching the clock because it just had to get to the post office the day I made it or there was no chance it would get to my youngest niece in time. I normally don't mind belated cards (after all, they extend the celebration, right?!) but I try to be on time for the youngsters in my life. I tell you this because were I not rushing, I think I would have done a few things differently.  I had the stamped sentiment in my stash so I used it although I'm obsessive to wish it were a bright color vs. the deep orange.  I'm also not in love with the hearts. There's a stripe in the paper with pink and red so I thought red hearts would work but now that I look at the photo, they kind of take over.  I tell you all of that to demonstrate just how out of control my obsessiveness can be.  Don't be me!!  Because in reality - it's a perfectly nice card!!

I hope to see you playing along with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: The Ton Easy Expressions and dies
Dies: Simon Says Stamp Party Candle, Trinity Stamps Embossed Edge Circle and Embossed Edge Rectangle
Paper: Echo Park Splash 6x6 (old!), Memory Box Graceful Garden Glitter Pad, Stampin' Up Pretty in Pink (ret), Balmy Blue, Mango Melody and Parakeet Party 
Other: Trinity Cinnamon Red Hots Jelly Drops

7 comments:

  1. I don't think the hearts take over at all. This is adorable and I'll bet your niece loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous inspirational card, and Pretty in Pink, now that is some serious hoarding

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is rushed, I should make my cards much more quickly in the future! LOL I just LOVE the design you created with the sparkly circle picking up the sparkly candle flames! Those tiny heart gems are the perfect finishing touch for a wonderful birthday card! When I first saw this sketch I had no clue what to do with it, but you did a fantastic job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same about the sparkle! Pretty card for a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about extending the celebration--haha! But I understand wanting to be on time for the kids. You're right--way too hard on yourself, Kim! This is a fun, festive card & I think the hearts make it more special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is fabulous! I love the candles and the rainbow of pretty colours! I also love that sparkly circle! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about your thought processes because they are so similar to mine! This card is fabulous and filling the circle with the candles is such a modern and contemporary look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!