Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Just Add Ink: Holiday Wishes

I've had my eye on the colors at Just Add Ink challenge this week. It includes the Stampin' Up Color Magenta Madness which I am not a huge fan of; however, that's why they call them challenges!

11.3 JAI Holiday Wishes


My original plan was to use regular stamped snowflakes - probably fairly dainty snowflakes to keep the magenta a bit more subtle, but these new stamps and dies by Catherine Pooler showed up in my mailbox.  The stamps are called Nordic Stars and I got them with the intent of classic Nordic red and white. I'm not quite sure how I made the leap to the dreaded magenta but I think it works with just a pop of it.  (FYI - I know that color is personal.  For instance, I really don't like plain yellow and others will pick as their favorite color.  I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the magenta but for me, it's kind of an in-your-face colors - it overwhelms other colors.)

I love that "wishes" die.  I don't think the picture they use on websites does it justice.  You just can't tell that it gives that look of ribbon. I had Nordic Stars in my shopping cart but before I hit the purchase button, I was browsing Pinterest or Instagram just to see if there was anything else I had to have. I saw it!  I loved it! And it jumped into my cart just in time for me to hit the purchase button!  Better yet, the coordinating stamps have add-ons for a wide variety of occasions.

---------

A quick update on our Colorado wildfires - hopefully the last. The situation is much improved thanks to a heavy mountain snow which is melting slowly - apparently the best case scenario for keeping the fires tamped down. Thank you God!!  The two big ones are not out but they have slowed enough that firefighters have increased the containment on one to 85% and the other to 37%.  

Colorado actually had three record-breaking fires this summer.  One of the fires topped the previous record in a single day - not the weeks and months it usually takes to burn that much acreage. The fire grew so fast that people were getting evacuated with 10 minutes notice. In fact, since the worst case scenarios didn't show the fire reaching them for weeks (if at all), many couldn't get their horses out so they spray painted their information on the horses and were letting them out of their corrals to find their own shelter. That fire took two lives and more than 300 homes.  

In an bizarre side note, the day this fire set all records, there was a giant smoke plume. It was visible from my home 125 miles away - I posted a picture here. The firefighters now think this smoke column suddenly collapsed sending air downwards and shooting flames in every direction. I guess like a giant microburst but with fire.  Nature is unimaginably powerful.

From The Colorado Sun 11/2/20

Evacuations in most areas are now lifted. Colorado being what it is - we are back up in the 70s again but as long as the wind doesn't kick up, things are looking good.  And there's more snow in the near forecast.  

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Catherine Pooler Nordic Stars, All Around Wishes

Dies: Catherine Pooler Wishes Word, Nordic Stars

Paper: Stampin' Up Magenta Madness, Misty Moonlight; silver is unknown

Other: Trinity Stamps Rainbow Reflection Rhinestone Mix

6 comments:

  1. I just love this Kim. I feel the same about Magenta Madness but you have used it perfectly on your stunning card. Thanks for joining in at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet card!! I am loving that you used snowflakes with those beautiful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your stamp choices Kim, this is lovely! Thank goodness the fire situation has improved. That photo is incredible, my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nordic snowflakes look just delightful clustered around the sentiment Kim, and the pop of magneta is lovely. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOve your beautiful, colorful, stitched snowflakes!
    Kim I'm so happy to hear the fires are being contained - that photo is WOW!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely Christmas card - I love the font of the sentiment and cute stars. Chantell Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!