Monday, February 11, 2019

Taylored Expressions Folk Art for Three Challenges

I love challenges!  They take me out of my comfort zone and give me new ideas.  Usually, one challenge is usually enough of a challenge...but this card uses three challenges!!

TE Folk Art Spring

I actually keep challenges in a spreadsheet (I know. It's a character flaw. Don't get me started on my books, playlists and pants-that-fit-me spreadsheets.)  I knew there was a current bird challenge and I knew that with the Taylored Expressions release last week, I had some birds that I seriously wanted to use.  I flipped to my spreadsheet and right there across the spreadsheet for this week were three challenges that were perfect for my birds.

The Color Throwdown had three bright, bird-like colors.  (Although having said that about the bright colors, if you like the birds, this card by Heather Nichols using them in blues and kraft is stunning!)


CAS(E) this Sketch has three little images and I figured a birdhouse and two birds equals three!  Fun thing - this is a retro sketch with the original being from June 2013 when I was actually on the design team!  This card is what I did the sketch almost six years ago.


The bird challenge at Addicted to CAS is what started this, although in my opinion, I did kind of step over the line with this being a CAS card.  For me, CAS does not include a full background of patterned paper - it's all white space.  I do adore clean and open white space but I just couldn't do it on this card.  While I am not a yellow fan, my birds needed that warmth.  They just didn't pop on a white background.  My CAS side did come through in my choice of yellow.  I originally had the bright yellow out that I used for the birds but I ended up with a softer yellow with a subtle pattern to soften it even more. (The color still pops in the picture but trust me that this is big step down from the Lemon Meringue of the birds.)


Here are the little birds again.  I did cut their little perches separately and I cut the birdhouse in black and trimmed off a piece for the roof.  I wanted an itty-bitty friendship sentiment and found it in an entirely different set, Laurels.

TE Folk Art Spring Close

I love the Scandinavian Folk Art look and am thrilled that there are more in the collection with more to come!  Check out the new release category at Taylored Expressions to see what's new.

SUPPLY LIST


5 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card, Kim. Those colors are amazing, but it's your take on the sketch that is brilliant. I'd have never thought to use birds! The teeny bit of pattern in the yellow base doesn't detract from the CASness one bit. What a wonderful card! Love it. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the sketch and colors! Lovely card! So happy you joined us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sunny colors Kim, this is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "White Space" doesn't have to be white IMO, Kim, and the yellow really works with those darling birds. Thanks for sharing them with us at Addicted to CAS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I love that you use a spreadsheet! Your card is fab and perfect for our challenge. So glad you played along at Addicted to CAS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!