Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Freshly Made Sketches: Flowers and a Teacup

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Narelle.


This is the second time in the last few weeks hat I'm going to have to explain my card vs. the sketch.  I'm generally a hard-core sketch follower.  I'd like to say that it's even more challenging that way - this sketch must have two circles, a square and leaves.  But in reality, I'm probably just not creative enough to be inspired vs. being exact.  Here's my card for this week.

FMS Teacup

As I was flipping through stamps and dies looking for circles and squares, I saw this set in my not-yet-used stash.  Maybe it was a creative moment (or perhaps desperation as the deadline for this card was approaching), but I instantly saw the cup as the fairly straight-edge square and the flowers as the more fluid circle.  I put one set of flowers behind the cup and one on top just like the sketch shows.  The bird really had no place with the sketch, but it was too cute not to use.  (Funny thing - another design team member used this same stamp set - great minds!!)

I placed them directly onto white cardstock and after all were adhered, I thought it was a little boring - so I held my breath, watered down some black acrylic paint and flicked it on.  This has to be the first time ever that I was successful and didn't get any big blobs.  That was a very good thing because I got the photo taken just in time to walk this to the mailbox addressed to a friend in need as the postman was pulling up!!  (Although sadly, I'm now wishing I'd taken a side-view shot before I mailed it.  I actually adhered all the elements at different depths - the teacup is a thin dimensional adhesive, the top flower is a thick one and the banner is even popped from the teacup.  It's amazing how dimensional adhesive can add so much interest to a basic card.)

I hope to see you playing along with us this week!

SUPPLY LIST:
Stamps: WPlus9 Hello & Thanks (This set has a number of sentiments that would have worked in my little banner, but I needed a "thinking of you" so I used a sentiment from the retired WPlus9 set Love Birds)
Dies: Wplus9 Hello & Thanks, Taylored Expressions Double-Ended Flag Stacklets
Other: Copics, black acrylic paint

9 comments:

  1. Well, sketch or no sketch, I think your card is perfect! love the small black splatters too. Creative minds indeed!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a hard core sketch follower as well.....but I have been trying to “relax”....lol.....your card is delightful......a perfect tea party! Loving the spatters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this stamp set and love seeing the way you've used it! I love your take on the sketch Kim, this is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need this stamp set. I LOVE the way you layered this and like that you did not match the sketch exactly. Isn't it how we all see it that counts? GREAT design. I think yours is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim! I'm glad you used your "creative moment" and made this card. It is simply gorgeous. Every element of the sketch is represented perfectly, in my book. That teacup is going to be sold out after every sees this card! Gorgeous. Love this. GREAT card!!! xo Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your creative take on the sketch. I was always ruthless about following a sketch exactly, but over the years I've found that it's a lot of fun to color outside the lines - as it were. This is beautiful. The flowers spilling from the teacup are perfect "circles!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is such a beautiful card Kim! I just love those flowers and that sweet little bird! Your colouring is amazing! The little splotches in the background are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous image and card! I'm quite like you when it comes to sketches and struggle to go outside the prescribed sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Such a gorgeous creation - I am loving those softly coloured flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!