Monday, July 16, 2018

CtS and CTD: Birthday Rose

I put a couple of challenges together to create a floral birthday card for someone at work.  I don't know her well - I only know she gardens so I stuck with flowers.

I was intrigued by the current sketch at CAS(E) this Sketch and started browsing my stash for a border type die.  I stumbled on this retired die by Stampin' Up that I think is stunning and I just haven't used enough.  So I cut it edge to edge across the card. I did experiment with a little distress ink and inlaying the colored pieces, but that got too fussy really quickly.  So I found a cheerful yellow polka dot and backed the rose with it.

CtS Birthday Rose

I thought it would be fun to pair with another classic pattern and found the gingham hiding in the paper stash.  Initially I was feeling like I should find a brighter color (or perhaps a green for the leaves!) but then I remembered another current challenge that I had bookmarked as wanting to try - the current challenge at the Color Throwdown.  So I stuck with the gray gingham and added a simple kraft banner.

CtS Birthday Rose Flat

It's a gorgeous color combo and definitely not one that I would have come up with on my own.



SUPPLY LIST
(Everything I used is retired - sorry!)
Stamps: Stampin' Up And Many More
Dies: Stampin' Up Rose Garden
Patterned Paper: Stampin' Up Polka Dot Parade and the gingham no longer had a label
Embellishments: Stampin' Up Glitter & Clear Epoxy Shapes

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love the pairing of the cheery yellow polka-dots and pretty gingham! Your colleague will adore this, as do I!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty idea for this sketch and color combo!! Love the DSP idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the polka dots and plaid, this is pretty Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your take on the color combo. It's very clever to use the polka dots and gingham patterns for this beautiful rose. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card,love the design.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the patterned rose and leaf — they are so pretty! Wonderful take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card..I have all these retired items and will be casing. Simply georgious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, Kim!! Great idea to use DP behind the die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw your card as a winner at Case this sketch and had to come and say I think it is STUNNING.
    Faith
    Daffodil Cards {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!