Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday Focus: Shimmer Paint

Do you want some easy shimmer and shine on your projects?

Stampin' Up sells Shimmer Paints which are actually Tsukineko's All Purpose Ink.  You can find Tsukineko's paints all over the internet, with more colors, and significantly cheaper than Stampin' Up, but I have to say that Stampin' Up has selected three of the best colors!  I have created samples of cards using each of their paints in a variety of ways.  Have fun!!



FROST WHITEa sheer wash of very sparkly color.

1. Apply on top of any color ink to make that ink sparkle!

I have previously published this card and instructions, but it is a fundamental technique to all of the following cards.  If you have seen this before...skip it and keep reading!



Here's how!

Shake the bottle well. Remove the cap and
apply a small amount to a sponge dauber.

First, ink your stamp with your chosen color,
then simply tap the dauber over the ink.
That small amount of paint will easily cover this stamp.

All the details on this card can be found in this post.

This technique of using a dauber to get paint from the cap of the bottle is used in virtually all the following techniques.

2. Paint on any colored cardstock to add sparkle.


The little turquoise bird is punched and then painted over with Frost White.

All details on this card can be found in this post.


3. Mix Frost White with Crystal Effects


Mix your Crystal Effects (or Ranger Glossy Accents) and a drop of Frost White in a separate pallette. It only takes a drop of Frost White.  Apply heavily to your stamped image with a paint brush.  You will get a more subtle shine instead of the glassy look.



4. Paint onto ribbon for a nice shine.

FYI - Tsukineko markets their All-Purpose Inks as fabric inks.





Edited to Add:

5. Faux Mother of Pearl -

Months after I put up this post, I found another fun technique - creating Faux Mother of Pearl.  Here's the card, details are here.




6. There is one thing that, in my opinion, does NOT work - painting onto white cardstock.  It doesn't stay sheer - it becomes almost gray.



CHAMPAGNE MIST - somewhere between a sheer wash of color and an opaque color.

1. Use on the edge of stamps or paper.




On this card, I inked the stamp and then daubed the Champagne Mist along the edge of the stamp (using the same techniques as outlined at the beginning of this post).

I also edged each cardstock layer with the paint:



2. Apply directly to a stamp for a subtle background.


I had intended to use the heart/flourish background stamp across an entire background but I did run into a problem.  I daubed the paint across the entire background stamp and then tried to stamp it.  Only half of the image stamp.  Apparently the first half had dried before I was ready to stamp.  I did try it again with a paintbrush and working very quickly - but the paintbrush leaves blobs of paint.  So, for this card, I simply cut out the stamped part and used it as an accent panel.

Also on this card, I inked the jar stamp with Crumb Cake and daubed the Champagne Mist on top just as I did on the cards in the Frost White section.


3. Painting directly on the paper.

I didn't get a card made with this technique, but I have a tidbit to share - the cardstock makes a big difference when you paint with Champagne Mist.


The bird on the left is Stampin' Up Whisper White cardstock which is semi-glossy.  The paint didn't stick so I got streaks and globs.  The bird on the left uses a different white cardstock which has some tooth to it and gives better coverage.


PLATINUM - shiny and opaque

This paint is VERY different from the first two.  It isn't sheer and sparkly, rather it is shiny and opaque.

1. Use on the edge of stamps


First I inked the stamp with Pacific Point, then I used a dauber to apply the Platinum paint to the edges.



2. Apply directly to the stamp - you get great silvery coverage.


All the details on this card can be found on this post.


In this case, I applied the paint only to the dove.

All the details on this card can be found on this post.


3. Paint onto chipboard.



This is an absolutely terrible picture because the card is actually white.  But I wanted to show you how much the Platinum paint shines and I don't have the photography skills to get the white AND the shine.  Sorry!

All the details on this card can be found on this post.

--------------------------

I do hope that you have found some fun new ways to play with paint!!  I certainly had fun experimenting - now I am off to shower and wash my clothes due to the sparkles that cover me from eyebrows to jeans!

Some of the above cards were found in earlier posts and are linked to that post for the details.

Here are the details for the new cards:

Gently Falling with Crystal Effects - Set 257 for my goal of using all of my SU sets
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Gently Falling
  • Inks: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze
  • Accessories: Tsukineko Frost White, Ranger Glossy Accents, Martha Stewart snowflake border, Sizzix embossing folder (with a birthday set), Stampin' Up Whisper taffeta
Very Merry Shimmer Ribbon - Set 258 for my goal of using all of my SU sets

The layout for this card comes from Just Add Ink.


  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Very Merry
  • Inks: Memento black
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Sage Shadow
  • Accessories: Tsukineko Frost White, Stampin' Up white grosgrain, Stampin' Up embossing folder, Martha Stewart snowflake border punch
  • Copics: RV91, RV93, YG93, YR00, B0000, E42, C00, Prismacolor brand PM-191 (matches sage)
Champagne Mist Ornaments - Set 259 for my goal of using all of my SU sets

The layout for this cards comes from clean & simple stamping.


The colors come from colourQ.

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Tree Trimming, "Joy" is from a Clear Dollar Stamps set of snowflakes
  • Inks: Stampin' Up Cherry Cobbler, More Mustard, Early Espresso
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla
  • Accessories: Sizzix embossing folder, Stampin' Up Cherry Cobbler seam binding, Nestabilities, Tsukineko Champagne Mist, misc gold brads.
Thanks from the Heart in Guava - set 260
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Thanks from the Heart, background stamp (old and unknown name)
  • Inks: Stampin' Up Groovy Guava, Mellow Moss, Crumb Cake
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Groovy Guava, Mellow Moss, Crumb Cake
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Mellow Moss Gingham, Tsukineko Champagne Mist
Pacific Point Snowflake - set 261
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Snowflakes, sentiment from Taylored Expressions
  • Inks: Stampin' Up Pacific Point
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Whisper White, Pacific Point
  • Accessories: Tsukineko Platinum, misc silver ribbon, Stampin' Up punch, gemstone snowflake from Joann

5 comments:

  1. Phew! That was a marathon ... but I am so grateful for all that you shared here. I hope you don't mind me putting a link on my blog (product tutorials) for my blog friends to see all the wonderful ways to use the shimmer paint. And ... I have bookmarked some of your Chrissy cards to CASE. (I will acknowledge if I post these on my blog!) Thanks so much for sharing so many wonderful ideas! Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card, Kim! Thanks for playing the ColourQ challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thanks for all that brilliant info! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gorgeous cards! Love all the tips for uses of the shimmer paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tks so much for sharing in such detail! Will def give this a go and am now excited to try this out! Love bling and shimmer on my cards! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!