Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Freshly Made Sketches: Fab Flower Birthday

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Karren and here’s what I did with it!
 
Fab Flower Birthday


The birthday card I needed to make today was for someone I don't know well.  I knew the card shouldn't be frilly, yet I have seen her wear clothes with a floral pattern.  I knew it shouldn't be pastel nor bright. I settled on colors based on pictures on her office wall and I love how it turned out. 

The background stripe was a happy accident but I love how it grounded the flowers. Each vertical line is cut using the Memory Box Vertical Line Collage. Originally I cut multiple colored stripes for each opening - first I cut a variety of colors, then I cut a variety of greens like the greenery behind the flowers. Then as I was pondering how to keep the cute flowers from being...cutesy!....it struck me that I could go black and white so I found some stripes and added a panel behind the cut out stripes going the opposite direction.

The Happy Birthday is a recent purchase from Simon Says. My plan was to adhere the "happy" on top of the flower so I used vellum behind it. After I decided to add it behind the flower, I wish I would have the background layer in white - but my glue is strong and it was just too late! I love sets like this that give me a bold "happy" element and scripty add-ons.

A big shout-out to my Stampin' Up enabler at work for the wonderful black dots I used for the centers of the flower!

As you read this I am on the vacation/retirement-scouting-trip that I mentioned last week.  I am very much hoping I'm not sitting on a river bank while my husband fishes - while protecting myself from humidity, bugs and cicadas. I literally didn't know before we left that we were visiting during a massive cicada "awakening" - something that only happens every few hundred years. I'm not a huge fan of bugs, plus I noticed the American Academy of Audiology warns about ear damage from the noise.  Ugh. We're on the edge of it so fingers-crossed my worst nightmare hasn't come true!

I hope to see you playing along with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Simon Says Stamp (CZ Designs) Happy Combos

Dies: Simon Says Stamp (CZ Design) Happy and Fab Flower, Memory Box Vertical Line Collage

Paper: My Favorite Things Black & White Stripes

Cardstock: Stampin' Up Boho Blue, Crushed Curry, Calypso Coral

Other: Stampin' Up Matte Black Dots

6 comments:

  1. Kim, I LOVE your stripes/lines so much I went in search for that die! What an adorable card - the birthday girl will love it!
    Good luck on the scouting trip!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is amazing....anyone would think so! She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great card Kim! I love those sweet little flowers! Love that striped paper and sentiment as well! A cicada awakening? Who knew? I didn't know you could get ear damage from them! That's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every single detail about this card! Can't wait to hear your final retirement decision! There's always upstate New York......;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I find myself so interested in your thought processes as you decide on which elements to use in a card for a specific person. So very thoughtful of you! And what a gorgeous card you created!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this beautiful card, Kim! It is so fresh, so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!