Monday, August 8, 2022

Inspire.Create: Birthday Rainbows

I am a clean and simple cardmaker. I like the fresh look. But some recent experiences and comments have made me realize that my desire to tailor my cards to the recipient isn't just in the theme or colors, I also need to step out of my CAS style sometimes. 

I had to get a birthday card made yesterday and it was for someone who prefers a bit more than a CAS card. I was stumped - so I took a break and looked through my favorite challenges. The lightbulb came on when I saw the sketch challenge at Inspire.Create.Challenges. I realized I didn't have to take a big leap away from my style - I just needed great patterned paper. 

Birthday Rainbows

I love Stampin' Up's Sunshine & Rainbow dsp from last year.  It's all my favorite colors.  The patterns are a bit of a leap outside of my comfort zone but that's what today is about! My original plan was to focus on the Saffron and Mango colors in the sentiment, but apparently I don't use my Saffron ink very often because something is terrible wrong with it. It's the older style pad - it's not just dry - I guess eventually they fail.  Darn! Now I need to order more products and get a new Saffron pad and maybe enough for a sale-a-bration set or two!!!

I don't buy much ribbon anymore.  I used to make very certain I had ribbon for every possible color - also buttons, gems, etc. But at some point, I had to let go of my complete-collection-obsession.  Ribbon seemed like an obvious thing to let go because I've never managed to tie a decent bow (at least without a bow-tying tool like the Bow Easy) - plus bows add so much bulk and makes it very hard to mail. So I haven't bought ribbon in years.  I have my old collection (in the top built-in in my high-ceiling craft room requiring a step ladder) but I drug it down thinking I could find something in So Saffron which is one of the colors in the paper. Instead, this Crushed Curry jumped out at me - it's not technically in the paper but it sure looks like the Mango that is in the paper. 

I also took inspiration from the photo that used a bit of twine with the ribbon. I did mine slightly differently but I like the look. 

Birthday Rainbows

A big thank you to Inspire.Create for the inspiration for this card.  It's nothing fancy and it probably doesn't look it to most of you - but it's a big leap out of my comfort zone.  But it's also absolutely perfect for the recipient!

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Stampin' Up Biggest Wish

Dies: Stampin' Up Tailor Made Tags

Paper: Stampin' Up Sunshine & Rainbows, Pool Party cardstock

Ink: Stampin' Up Pool Party, Bermuda Bay

Other: Crushed Curry Grosgrain Polka Dot

4 comments:

  1. This is super cute, Kim, and a great way to use that sketch! So happy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Great job with the block panels and while this might not be traditionally CAS, it's still clean, so good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipient must be very special to you, Kim! You've taken the leap and didn't even need a safety net! These papers are adorable, love the twine vs bow and how you've attached it to that cute polka dotty ribbon! A very happy card!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous and totally happy card, Kim!!! Way to go stepping out of your comfort zone! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!