Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Freshly Made Sketches: Happy Retirement

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Jen Mitchell and here’s what I did with it!
 
Happy Retirement


I have a workmate who announced she was retiring three years ago.  Not that in 2021, she said she'd be retiring in 2024 - but that she was actually retiring in 2021.  She had a calendar in her office on which she crossed off each day. Well one thing happened after another, both at work and in her life situation and it's now 2024 and she has announced that she is retiring in May.  This time I believe her. 

Her retirement plan is actually working a little "farm" which they bought about three years ago. They sell their local produce to various restaurants in the area and she raises prize-winning dahlias. I don't have anything farm-related in my stash and I don't have dahlias but I do have these cheerful little Nordic flowers. They have such a happy look, I thought they would be perfect for retirement.

Happy Retirement

The colors took me the longest to pick but that's fairly normal for me. I started with my comfort-zone colors of flamingo, mango and daffodil but it was a little "cutesy" for my future farmer. I just kept switching out colors until it felt like my friend. I had so many flowers in so many colors all over my desk, I couldn't even tell you at this point what the colors are that I ended up with! I do sometimes wonder why I obsess over each and every card.  I know my friend would have appreciated any version I made. But luckily I do like the process and I just keep going until it feels right.

FYI: The tall flower pot is actually taller. I trimmed a strip off the top and bottom of it to fit this 4 1/4" square card. Without the trimming, it would fit nicely on a taller card.  Also, there are smaller flowers in the flower set which I used on this card

I hope to see you playing along with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Papertrey Ink Big Balloon Sentiments

Dies: Poppystamps Nordic Flower Pots and Stems, Nordic Flower Heads, Nordic Butterfly Trio

7 comments:

  1. LOL, we do obsess over our creations, don't we?! Your Nordic flowers in their wee little pots are just adorable and she WILL appreciate it! Although growing up on a farm, I am not sure how much "retiring" she's going to do! But at least she can do it at home! Sweet card, TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy and pretty card! I love the detail on these dies, and your multi-striped background adds a touch of fun. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every delightful detail on this fabulous card, Kim and I think your co-worker will too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the work you put into this card has paid off - it looks totally fresh and lovely! Have to say, I'm envious of your work-mate - I'm so looking forward to when I can retire...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your happy flowers - so bright and colorful! Delightful card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The process is just part of what ensures it is so special! Every detail of this is so well considered and spot on. Love the color blocking behind the flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous card, Kim! It is so cheerful and I love those cute flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!