Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Freshly Made Sketches: Lucky Stars

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Jacquie.


The timing was particularly good on this sketch.  My youngest is headed to college in just a few short months.  When my oldest went, I had made a huge number of cards to have on hand for him - cards if he succeeded, cards if he failed, cards if he got stressed or worried - or just goofy "mom misses you cards"!  But I have nothing prepared for my youngest so it's been in my head that I need to get a start on these.  When I saw the sketch - it clicked that I have a set that has 9 stars on a stamp laid out in that pattern so I don't even have to line them up!!

FMS Lucky Stars

Guess what's extra fun about this card - it's his new school colors!!  Fun story - he's going to Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.  Guess where I graduated from many, many decades ago?  Augustana College but not in Rock Island - my Augustana College (now University) is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  Both of them use blue and gold and both are Vikings.  So I have throwback stuff from my school that I can wear for his school!  We didn't plan it - in fact, he's somewhat horrified that I walk around bragging that I went to the real Augustana College.  

He was heavily recruited as a lacrosse goalie.  Augie has a good Division III program which is a perfect fit for him - competitive but not insane.  I love that it's a small Christian school. He loves that it's in the Quad Cities which has about a half million people - and it's just a few hours from Chicago so he can experience true city living while living on a small, protected campus.

The border is inset.  I cut the center out with a stitched rectangle, the trimmed off the stitched part leaving a bit of a gap between the two.

TE Lucky Stars Close

Here's hoping I need many, many more of this type of card! 

FYI - this is a Taylored Expressions set and if you haven't started on Easter cards - they have a jelly bean set with the same layout (and there are others!)   I had it out to use, but I only have one more Easter card to make and jelly beans just aren't right for this one.

I hope to see you playing along with us this week.

SUPPLY LIST


9 comments:

  1. You are so good at personalizing your cards! I love all of the thought and love that go into them, and I love how we were on the same wavelength with this challenge -- cards for our Seniors that feature stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats for sure to your son....an exciting time! Your card is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These stars are so perfect for the sketch! I love the extra touch of celebration from the star confetti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am loving the fun little stars you created. Such a wonderful mother you are to make cards ahead like that!! I made cards for Char to take to school to give to kids for birthdays but never thought of having them for her ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stars are so cute! Love the colors and the trail of wee gold stars you added. This is terrific Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny story, :-)
    Nice details you shared with the rest of the world, ha, ha.
    Poor guy. Anyway, your card is just perfect!!
    Hope to see more on this subject, he's lucky with such a loving and caring mum who's so creative too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card Kim! Those stars are fantastic and perfect to send to your son! I love that you can re-use your stuff from your college days!!! That's awesome! I love how you're already thinking ahead to August!!! You're such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another outstanding design, Kim! So, what year is your son? I have a nephew who goes to Augustana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This stamp was perfect for this sketch and this card is perfect for a young man heading off on new adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!