Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cards for Lutheran Family Services

Here's a clean and simple birthday card for a kid.  What's special about it?  Nothing...except....


Birthday Cards for LFS

We made 200 of them yesterday!!!

My church as an annual servant day with projects in-house and around the community.  As the card-making group, we have done such things as cards for soldiers to send back home, and this year, we did birthday cards for Lutheran Family Services to send to their clients.  

Other projects include 
  • stuffing animals for Ronald McDonald House 
  • decorating priority mailing boxes that a group called Colorado Supporting Our Troops fills and sends overseas.  We have pictures from past years of groups of soldiers holding their glittered, painted, stamped, and stickered boxes!!
  • decorating brown paper bags that a group called Project Angel Heart uses to deliver meals to people with life-threatening illnesses
  • sewing prayer quilts
  • yard work at Girls Hope and Boys Hope
  • general handyman work at Praying Hands Ranch and at Sky Ranch Lutheran Camp
  • building handicap ramps for families in need
  • and many more this year and in past years!!
The key to making a lot of cards is keeping it very simple and being prepared in advance - because many of the people that come have never made a card and we also get lots of kids that want to serve.    Plus, if there's a crowd, I'm not always able to help each person individually.  

So, once again, I thank my family.  For the third time this week, my boys spent an evening cutting (see the confirmation and graduation posts in the last week).  They don't ask for much either.  My husband left yesterday for two days alone in our mountain place - with a stack of library books.  My boys are even easier - we are going to Garbanzo's for lunch today and then to see The Avengers

200 sheets of 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 paper AND
200 sheets of 5 1/4 x 4

I included a variety of embossing folders with instructions

My oldest son used the Stampin' Up BIGZ peekaboo die to
cut 200 little windows.  My husband cut appropriately sized
white squares and circles for under the window.  (I actually
stamped each one - I'm not a complete lump!!)

Here's some of the ladies and their cards!!  Hi, Carol!!!
Isn't card-making a wonderful hobby!!??

I played two challenges for my sample card - CAS-ual Fridays and Pals Paper Arts...



  • Stamps: none shown (I used a variety of stamps for insides the windows).  I also had the perfect stamp for inside each card...it says "Just thanking God for the day He made you." It's by MorningStar Stamps - a wonderful company with stamps to "encourage, cheer, thank, bless and celebrate.  But now that I have you all excited - I don't see this stamp there anymore...sorry...but there are lots of others!
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Calypso, Baja, Saffron
  • Ink: just black
  • Accessories: the sample includes a candle from Jolee's Boutique, but I had a wide variety of dimensional and glittered stickers for the cards - I watched sales for a month to get interesting stickers!, Stampin' Up Peekaboo die, the sample includes an embossing folder from Lifestyle Crafts


17 comments:

  1. Kim, this is fabulous and I am so amazed by all the wonderful work that your church group does. You really are a special lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what a great idea! CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is fantastic! Love your peek-a-boo window and I bet your card-makers did too! Lots of people will be blessed receiving one of these cards! Thanks for joining us at the Pals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is fantastic! Love your peek-a-boo window and I bet your card-makers did too! Lots of people will be blessed receiving one of these cards! Thanks for joining us at the Pals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing for your church to have a group that does this wonderful cardmaking. The joy this must bring to SO MANY!! Very cute card Kim, love those little candles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING! I love to see cardmakers come together for such a great cause! And it's a super cute card, too! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, you & your family are inspirational! What an awesome event & great design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, this is great Kim! Such a great idea as well. I love the simplicity of your card...brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW that you made 200, WOW for the design and execution - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 200! Wow! Nice to see how organised you have been and also to see a group come together for a good cause. Great card! Love the texture and also the flap :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 200! That's amazing! It's great to see cardmaking being used in this way. Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card hun & well done for making 200 of them!!
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! 200 cards! Now that is some power crafting! Lol! Adorable cards and a wonderful way to share some smiles. You were seriously organized for this event...I'm impressed! Thanks for the inspiration, yet again! Big hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 200 is A LOT of cards! Wowza! This is such a fun card! Love the sparkle on the candles and the little flap! :) Your boys sound like great help and easy to please! Hope your DH enjoyed his quiet time away and you and the boys enjoyed your time together too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a wonderful family you have! So supportive and in a practical way. Makes these cards even more special! And ... they are cute ... to boot! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my 200 cards! But I bet it was good fun on the day. Great design for your card. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like so much fun! This card might be simple, but it's bright and sparkly and has a lift up flap. That's pretty fancy in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!