Saturday, November 15, 2014

Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: So Blessed

It's time for a new challenge at the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: Pin Cushion!


Our sponsor for this challenge is STAMPlorations!  A randomly selected participant in the Pin Cushion challenge will receive a $15 gift certificate to use at STAMPlorations, while the LEAD will be invited as a Guest Designer in a future challenge!


I love the charming little pincushions - they give me a warm and comfortable feeling.  My mother was a fabulous seamstress. Personally, I can't sew a straight line.  She didn't have a lot of time to do it because she was a dedicated 9th grade English teacher. (My father was the high school principal - it was such fun(?) growing up in my house!)  When she was pregnant with my little brother and couldn't work for awhile, she made an entire wardrobe of Skipper clothes for me (back when Skipper was Barbie's little sister created to counteract Barbie's sex symbol image - not later when Skipper grew up!)  Many, many decades later, I still have the Skipper carrying case full of my mother's handmade clothing in a place of honor on a bookshelf in my home.

For my card, I had planned to use papers with teeny tiny patterns to mimic the fabric on the pincushions. My patterns ended up being a little bigger than planned - but I love the colors in this paper and the patterns in the flowers.  I also added Aida cloth embossing to the gray panel.

So Blessed

I have to give credit to Freshly Made Sketches.  This was sketch #142 from a number of months ago.  I love when challenges have a Past Sketches tab so I can get a lot of inspiration in one place when I am feeling stuck.

Be sure to visit each of the Curtain Call designers' blogs for more inspiration!




Stop by the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: Pin Cushion for the challenge details and to play along with us!

13 comments:

  1. Great card! Love the colors and sweet jar image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Kim! Love the warm, fall colors! Love that you have your Skipper case as a keepsake! My mom used to sew a lot as well. Some of my childhood clothes are such a hoot to look at (in pictures) - I'm sure they were stylish enough then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, Kim! Love the warm fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet and perfect for a fall card Kim! I love your story and love that you still have the case full of Skipper's clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that jar of flowers, Kim. and that embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty card Kim. I love that strip of DP... looks wonderful. The jar is awesome with the pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this is such a beautiful card with all the fall colors, Kim. How wonderful that you still have the handmade clothing your mom made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed out on quite a few cards. :-(
    Each and every one looks gorgeous, sparkly and festive for the holidays, warm colorcombo's for Thanksgivingcards, and creative thinking with the word diecuts! The Hi, Hey, Hello card is just awesome!!
    Very inspirational too! :-)
    Thanks!
    Have a wonderful sunday!
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet mason jar! Love the fall inspired colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The warm, autumnal colours are fabulous with the cool aida textured background, Kim ... just lovely! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How touching and heart-warming to learn that you continue to treasure your mom's creations in a special place not only in your home, but your heart. I, too, can't even thread a sewing machine, much less use one, but my mom...oh my! She has the gift of creativity in so many ways (and I think a wee bit has been passed on to me). Your memory of your mom, piqued by the pincushions...precious! Thank you for sharing. As for your card: gorgeous...and with the warm colours you've chosen, it really does reflect the essence of your post.
    ~c

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!