Friday, July 27, 2012

Snake, Rattle & Roll

It is my husband's birthday today and  I haven't had anything made for him - which was OK given that he's not back in town until 5 tonight.  My time on my own is coming to an end :(

The problem was that I really had no ideas either.  He's not a elegant/vintage/cutesy/retro/sweet kind of guy.  He is, however, a very clean and simple guy.  I can stick one little gem on a card and he'll wander by my craft desk and tell me it's too much, that I just ruined the card!!  So I kept my fingers crossed that the CAS-ual Fridays challenge would give me an idea.

Ta da!!  The challenge for the week is lime, aqua and navy which could definitely be a guy's card.  Then, I had in my head that I wanted to do something with The Alley Way Stamps (TAWS) because I wanted to remind you to wander over to their blog and leave a comment because they are giving away free stamps each day!!   Well...TAWS has a snake stamp (no implications, honey) and the perfect sentiment for my hubby.


Snake, Rattle and Roll

This sentiment is going to get the biggest laugh.  You have to understand that my husband is a geologist.  He is passionate about the goings on of the earth - both ancient and current.  Never drive through the state of Wyoming with a geologist because you have to stop at each and every road cut in the middle of nowhere and study the layers.  

Less than two weeks before we were married, we were watching the World Series.  (I am going to seriously date myself here).  It was the game in San Francisco that, during warm-ups, the camera started to jiggle and then everything went dark.  (OK, it was 1989.)  As a geologist, my husband knew instantly what happened - an earthquake!!  And without any regard for the human impact of an earthquake but with utter delight over the shaking of the earth, my future husband danced around the living room singing "shake, rattle and roll"!  He'll NEVER live that down!

I tucked a few fun pennants behind the snake to keep it festive!  And I added just a strip of punched border.  That little strip is a big step for me.  I am such a geometric kind of gal, that strips should go the whole way - or better yet, matte the whole darn image - keep it regular!!  But it sure is fun to just have a hint of border!



I'm also submitting to the Simon Says Stamp Challenge: Anything Goes.
  • Stamps: The Alley Way Stamps Tropic Topic and Get the Point
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Midnight Muse
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Midnight Muse, Kiwi Kiss, Papertrey Ink Hawaiian Shores, Memento black, copics
  • Accessories: EK Success border punch, Ranger Glossy Accents (on his eyes!)



22 comments:

  1. Love your story! Love how you colored your snake. Happy birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo Kim this will be perfect for him! Love the story about the dancing in the living room, but studying the layers is a HOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BWAHAH! I love the story.. and I love EVERYTHING about this card, the layout, colors, coloring, banners on the side.. it's seriously perfect.. I can't tell you how much I love it! So fun! Happy Birthday to your Hubby :) hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I love it Kim - what an awesome card! LOVE the colors, and that little "uncomfortable" strip of border is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is adorable...but the story behind the card is priceless! Clearly your husband's job is something he loves :)! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, what a great post! The card alone is cute enough, but the story behind it makes it PERFECT! I'm sure your husband will really appreciate it! I hope you enjoyed your time on your own...and now you can enjoy your time back together, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quirky card with these colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim
    Fabulous mans card.... I ab sure your hubby will love it....
    Hugs sylvie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your husband will love his card and I hope he has a happy birthday. Love the earthquake story. We're (hopefully) near the tail end of almost 2 years of quakes here in NZ, so I can totally relate LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS card Kim & FAB story too :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the beauty of cardmaking--you can tailor it perfectly to the person you're giving it to! This one fits your story so well. I'm sure he'll laugh and enjoy it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a good giggle at your "shake rattle & roll" story! And the card is perfect! Love the colour combo, too! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card! Love the white on white and the banners sticking out of the right side! Great design! Thanks so much for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute card! You rocked those colors! Love the stamps too! Thanks for playing along with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hint of a border is fun! As is that snake and the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds the perfect card for your hubby Kim!!.... what a great sentiment and way to use the colours :0)
    So glad you joined us this week at CASual Fridays :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your card, Kim, and I love the story behind it even more! I'm sure your husband got a great laugh out of the sentiment. The pinked edge with the tiny hearts is so fun! Thanks for joining us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome card and such a fun post! I'm sure he's going to love the card, and probably even more if he reads your blog post to see how much love and thought went into it :) Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kim - I love this card, and the funny story behind it. I bet he got such a kick out of it! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my, Kim...this is too cute!! LOVE your layout and use of colors, what a sweet story and what a perfect card for your man!!! Too funny and also too cute!! As always, love seeing your cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Huge CONGRATS on your CAS-ual Fridays Contender Kim :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats, Kim, on your Contender shoutout at CFC for this fab card!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!