Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Freshly Made Sketches: Birthday Poppies

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today we have a sketch by Cécile and here’s what I did with it!
 
Birthday Poppies

I have mixed feelings about my own card.  I quickly decided to use the retiring Stampin' Up Poppy Moments die then I added the retiring Fancy Frames to add some detail to the background.  In the midst of planning this card, I was also organizing and had pulled out some of the old colors that are now new again (retired but now returning). I saw that I must not have loved Berry Burst because I only had a few unused sheets from the sampler pack they always have and I have no ink so I figured I ought to give it another try. I felt the same about Fresh Freesia. As they were sitting together on my stack of re-organized cardstock, I thought they paired nicely so I combined them on my flowers. But then I had a theme going with returning colors and I definitely get stuck in my themes. I had to continue with returning colors, right??! There aren't any returning greens so I decided to be dramatic and use Lost Lagoon and Pretty Peacock.  And thus the mixed feelings.  When I see other people use non-traditional colors, like blue for leaves, I love it.  I am in awe of their creativity and their finished cards are so eye-catching.  But when I use non-traditional colors, it just feels wrong. I'm sure it's somehow connected to my day-job as an accountant who totally geeks out over spreadsheets - everything has to be organized in neat columns, all in its correct place, and it makes sense in the end.  Blue leaves are simply not correct and they don't make sense, so my mind panics when I try to do it!  Anyway, I don't love it - but I'm hoping you don't hate it!!

I had everything laid out and then I glanced back at the sketch and realized the sentiment was supposed to be part of the main element - not down to the side as I had planned.  I try hard to follow sketches exactly - you don't have to, it's just part of my personal challenge - so I hunted down a very old sentiment that would fit in small banner and kind of made of made it part of the main flower. 

You know what the real problem is?  I still don't love Berry Burst or Fresh Freesia!!

I hope to see you playing along with us this week.

SUPPLY LIST

Stamps: Stampin' Up Wishes Your Way (long retired)

Dies: Stampin' Up Poppy Moments, Fancy Frames, Stylish Shapes

Paper: Stampin' Up Berry Burst, Fresh Freesia, Lost Lagoon, Pretty Peacock

Ink: Stampin' Up Lost Lagoon

Other: Stampin' Up Woven Threads Sequins (retired)

6 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh, as I think the exact same thing about colors. I am so NORMAL in my choices. Then I see a cool combo and think I will do that. Ehhhh. HOWEVER, I love your blue leaves!! I think the colors look amazing. It's funny how there are certain ones we don't really use/like much. I am still hoping for a Not Quite Navy replacement some day- it was my favorite blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so pretty Kim! I love the colour combination though Fresh Freesia isn't my favourite either! That fancy frames die cut is so beautiful! Such a sweet card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to step out of your comfort zone. I know what you're saying...but your card is beautiful! The colors are wonderful! And those "blues" look beautifully green to me in the picture! I love Berry Burst and Fresh Freesia! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the colors you used on this!! That die is fabulous. Gorgeous card design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous card, Kim! I totally love the color scheme and the amazing textures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late to the party, but this card is just elegant and so fabulous! I love every detail including the colors, great embossing and those beautiful die-cut flowers! Just WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!