Saturday, August 10, 2013

Catered Crop: Have a Ball with Sequins

The current "recipe" at Catered Crop is sequins.  I was recently chatting with some cardmaking friends and we were laughing at the fact that if even just a year ago we had plopped a sequin on a card it would have looked silly.  I wonder who starts these trends?  Because now I seem to plop them on every other card.  I view them like ribbon vs. twine.  I used to use ribbon on everything, but being a CAS cardmaker, I now prefer the look of baker's twine because it is lighter and fresher.  I feel the same way about sequins vs. rhinestone or even buttons.  Sequins give such a nice flash without being heavy. Don't get me wrong - there's still ribbon and rhinestones and buttons on many of my cards - but I have jumped on the bandwagon!!

This is the last of my week-long attempt to use my order from Paper Smooches before they all got tucked away (although I didn't use the dies that go with this set - do you think I can still put it away?)!! I thought an icy drink would be a great way to use sequins!

Have a Ball 2


I've been struggling with an idea for a card for a young lady who is heading off to college and is quite nervous about it.  As I was looking at this stamp set - the light bulb came on.  I do want her to "have a ball" and settle in happily - at least until she has to buckle down and study!!  (Nothing like waiting until the last minute as her going away party is tonight!)  I've also been struggling with a going-away gift and when an idea finally came to me, I felt really stupid.  She has been coming to our church cardmaking group since she was just a little girl.  What could possibly have more meaning to her than a stack of greeting cards for her own use???  It's not like I don't have a substantial stash of cards!!

I hope you all pull out your sequins.  If you don't have any - there are very nice sequins at the hobby stores.  I found lots of variety packs on Etsy.  Card stores with beautiful sequins include Ellen Hutson, Avery Elle and Neat and Tangled.  The sequins on this card are Clearly Beloved sequins from Simon Says Stamps. I'm sure there are lots more but these are some of my faves!
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Crystal Clear
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Sahara Sand, My Mind's Eye Happy Day 6x6 dsp
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Sahara Sand, Memento Tangelo, Copic marker for the water and shading
  • Accessories: Clearly Beloved sequins (at Simon Says Stamp), MFT Fishtail die, MFT Blueprint 1 die set (the tag), May Arts twine

17 comments:

  1. I love this! Beautiful design Love the pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome card Kim! Love the sequins and GREAT stamps!!
    Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely perfection! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card Kim, I like the pop of color from the straw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a perfect card...love the addition of the sequins and twine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is adorable.. love how you added the sequins..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "wait" to come up with this was SO worth it! She is going to love this card - it's perfect for her age and for the occasion! Using the sequins for ice - so smart! I must get myself some sequins - I'm so late on this trend! Just like you, I was not "sold" on using them when they first became trendy, and now I am loving how they look on the projects I'm seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to use that sequin supply before it disappears in a drawer! Fun idea for the challenge and I love that they're in a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fun, Kim! Love the bubbles! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm lagging behind on the sequin trend. Must catch up - thank you for the recommendations! Your card here is perfect for the young lady heading off to school; the sequins as ice is brilliant. She'll love this!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card looks so fresh and screams "summer" :-)

    Hugs, Betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card!!!
    And those sequins are such a great way to fill up the mason jar.
    The layout is perfect!
    And the bits of colour here and there gives your card such a well balanced look!
    And the sentiment fits your blogpost text very well. :-)
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is fabulous, Kim! love that jar of sequins!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!