Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Favorite Things Stamps Day 6: Best Friends and Calenders

It's Day 6 of the Release Countdown at My Favorite Things Stamps and there is quite a variety of stamps today - from cute to office-style.

I started with cute.  This is the new Wendy Burns Design set Best Friends. This card came together far more quickly than any other card I have done for this release.  Living in a houseful of men and teenage boys, I crave sweet and cute.  I also immediately knew that I wasn't going to color her.  Have you seen the coloring work of the rest of the design team?  Mad coloring skills!!  I knew I couldn't show her off well enough - but I am really happy with the look of just a couple of splashes of color.

Hot Dog

When I first agreed to guest designing for My Favorite Things, I knew there was sure to be something by Wendy Burns or a Pure Innocence set - so I went shopping for fun and cute dsp.  I haven't used much dsp yet in this release - I'm having fun showing off the MFT color palette.  But this paper from the Teresa Collins You Are My Happy pad was made for this stamp set!!    The button is from My Favorite Things - it's Bubble Gum.

Now I am going to do something not-so-smart.  I am going out of my comfort zone.  My original plan was just to do the cute card today, but the other set was on my desk, right next to a free pad of paper that had come in an order.  The possibilities hit me over the head.  It's really not generally bad to go out of one's comfort zone.  However, as a guest designer, presumably I was asked because MFT liked my style and body of work.  And...my CAS style is comfortable for me - that's probably because I am not good at other styles no matter how much I admire them when I see what others have designed.  So jumping out of the box is probably not smart on a guest post!  Anyway...here's my leap...

Remember HB2U

It's busier and more collage-ish than my usual style - although some of you are laughing because it's not really a big leap. It's still just a few layers; however, it is missing my beloved white space!  It does allow me to show off a few things.  This is Lainie Lamb Design's Journal It - Pocket Calendar. Obviously it's intended for journaling or scrapbooking - but it makes a nice masculine birthday card too.  (If you get this set, be sure to check out the 3x4 Insert die as it is a perfect fit. Then be sure to check out all Lainie Lamb Designs stamps and Die-namics because there is an entire series of stamps and dies that go with "Journal It".)

I also used the new Blueprints 10 which was previewed on Day 1.  Other stamps and dies that I used are the DC Party BalloonsParty Balloons Die-namics and the Fishtail Flags STAX Die-namics.  Colors from My Favorite Things are Electric Red, Fuse Green and Chocolate Brown.  The image is stamped on Primitive White.  (The dsp is 7 gypsies Postale.)

I used the deconstructed sketch.


Be sure to head over to the My Favorite Things blog and leave your comment for today!

26 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I love that little dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so enjoyed the cards you have made for the release wish the release went all month long LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them both, Kim! That little hot dog card is super cute. You always make me want to try out stamps I wouldn't ever think to try. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the birthday card. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dynamic duo here, Kim! The sweater-clad puppy and little girl are sooo adorable! And your 'out of your comfort zone' card is outstanding! Showcase of the new MFT release is amazing! As I mentioned: need to welcome some to my collection!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are fab, love the way you just pulled out the one colour in the images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love your cards!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I love the ombre effect with the half circles and the bits of color on the girl and dog -- just perfect -- you really have a wonderful eye. My son's work recently has been debunking the myth of the right brain/left brain dichotomy and I think you are living proof! (PhD in neuroscience for education, recent article, public domain if you want to look for it, Charles or Charlie Gillmarten, forget how he published it.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so lovely! Love that little bit of color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the black and white with a pop of color. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE! loooove that Wendy Burns card, sooooo adorable! and you nailed your "out of your comfort zone" card....that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE that you did the sweet little girl in B&W, with a splash of pink! She is awesome! Um, and so are you for going out of your zone...which you ROCKED btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, love your cards. The little girl and dog card is so awesome. I love the colors and that you left her uncolored. Well, you certainly took an awesome step on your second card. I just love it. This is what I plan on doing with that set when I get it. Makes fantastic birthday cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your first card is just adorable Kim, what a sweet image!! An you my friend look perfectly comfortable in this card!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are so good at any style you try, because you are super talented. They say in Russia - talented people are talented in everything. :)
    Love both of your cards, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, love them, but really love how you made the Best Friends simple yet stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous cards Kim! Love how you highlighted the dogs coat and her hair bow and what a fun birthday card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Kim! the dogs are so sweet! and the friend card are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the image on the first card with the perfect little pops of colour and the birthday card is so cheery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. AMAZING! LOVE the first card...the layout is amazing! The second card totally makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh goodness, I just love your hot dog card. I sometimes look at my stamped images and only want to highlight something instead of coloring the whole thing in. You have made me want to go pull one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL that is how I totally feel about coloring!! This is gorgeous!! Love the colors and sequins!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!