Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving: Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today!! It is a day of gratitude and do you know what I am most grateful for at this moment - the fact that my husband does all of the Thanksgiving cooking!!

My card of Thanksgiving includes a wonderful sentiment - one that I most definitely could do a better job of living by.

Gratitude

A week or so ago, I mentioned my husband's leftover turkey soup and that I liked it better than the actual Thanksgiving.  It's also the reason that we rarely accept invitations to other's Thanksgiving meals - we wouldn't have the leftovers for the soup!  And I am going to share it here.  There's really nothing fancy about it - it's mostly just dumping in everything you have left over!


Leftover Turkey Soup

1 leftover turkey carcass
2 bay leaves
1 pinch marjoram
1 pinch thyme
1 pinch basil
2 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsp flour
1/4 cup rice
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 handful thin or medium egg noodles
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 Tblsp sherry
Leftover gravy, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, cranberries, etc.
Chicken stock

Take all meat off the bone and set meat aside. Cover with water, add spices, salt and pepper and simmer slowly for 3-4 hours. Remove bones and strain for stock.

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in stock. (It should be 1 1/2 to 2 quarts, if not, add chicken stock). Bring to a boil.

Add rice, celery, onion and a handful of noodles. Simmer 25-30 minutes.  Saute mushrooms. Add to soup with diced turkey meat, all leftovers, and parsley. At serving time, add sherry.

Enjoy!


My card uses the sketch from clean&simple stamping. I've used it twice this week - it must be a keeper!


I'm also playing along with Crazy 4 Challenges Thankful theme and Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes.

  • Stamps: Sweet Stamp Shop Fall Gratitude
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Soft Stone
  • Ink: Memento Black, Copics, Papertrey Ink Soft Stone (the small shadows)
  • Accessories: Hemptique white twine, Neat & Tangled Crystal Clear sequins, Papertrey Ink Summer Sunrise button

14 comments:

  1. Super cute card...love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankful for you, dear friend! happy thanksgiving to you and your wonderful family! jotting down this recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Kim - and yes, those words are ones I need to bear in mind far, far more often! Love the trees; you're right, that sketch is a keeper! Your husband's soup recipe - excellent reason for having supper at home, because that soup sounds delicious! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving, filled with family, friends, celebration, gratitude and love! As for me: I'm so thankful to have *discovered* you this year; you're a source of encouragement, support and inspiration! All your comments on my site: treasures!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! Us Canadians celebrated in October, but you know what, we should celebrate every day! So I am celebrating along with you today! That sentiment really does say it all, doesn't it! Just love it - and the card is FAB - I just love everything that you do!! Lucky you having a hubby who cooks the day of, and the day after!! Mine has a no-go in the kitchen. He is SO messy when he cooks - I would be scraping turkey off of the walls if I let him in there!! Though I am so grateful for him, and all that I have. Enjoy your special day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe, thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for all your card creativity and inspirations that you share with us.Have a wonderful Happy Thanksgiving holiday from our home to yours!

    -Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love your card, colour choices and layout just brilliant. Very very eyecatching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card and a beautiful sentiment, Kim ... Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Your DH's recipe sounds yummy ... all the better that you don't have to do it! Anita :) Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card, Kim and I sure hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. My husband does most of the cooking too. I helped peel the potatoes and mashed them when they were done but he did everything else. So thankful he loves to cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun group of tress, cute card Kim!! If he cooks do you have to clean up!!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this card - the trees are so pretty and I love the soft grey background. Great card.

    Nice recipe too - I've a large pot of stock waiting to be made into soup! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful card and love those fabulous trees.

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge.

    luv

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute and now I will have to try that soup out, maybe for Christmas dinner left overs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!