Saturday, November 2, 2013

Catered Crop Washi's Up? Merry Christmas!


This week's recipe at Catered Crop is Washi's Up?  (Don't you just love the names of the challenges?!)

I most definitely jumped on the Washi Tape trend.  I have an entire shoebox size container of Washi to prove it.  What I don't have are many cards that actually use it?!  So I am definitely not the creative Washi person from which you will get a new idea. When I do use it, it's just a strip of color.  Sometimes that torn end is just the unique touch that a card needs.


Merry Christmas Poinsettia

My attempt at creativity is the button - it's covered with Washi!!  And the leaf is Washi adhered to white cardstock and then I used the die to cut a leaf.

I definitely chuckled at myself when I was putting this card together.  First, I swore up and down that I did not need every color of sequin and/or enamel dot out there.  Now it's been pointed out to me that they are on virtually every card that I make..and often in multiple colors like above.  Yes...I have every color made!!  I find them perfect in sets of threes to highlight a sentiment - it's like the sentiment is in a spotlight with sparkles of colored light around it!

Second, check out the big, loopy, Stacey Schafer-style bow - especially in black!  Mine isn't quite as dramatic as Stacey's, but it's a whole lot more dramatic than my usual twine or bow.  I had adhered the strips of Washi.  After some experimentation, I decided that I liked the poinsettia die. Then I got stumped with the sentiment.  I didn't like it in black because it seemed so stark, but it got lost in red or green.  Then I saw the roll of black twine from Hemptique.  Why not try a big loopy blow to ground the poinsettia and to bring a little black to the card so that a black sentiment wasn't so stark?  It makes me happy!

There's another week on the Catered Crop Washi challenge.  As always, Linda has curated a Pinterest board of ideas.  Tomorrow, you will get some extra inspiration from the design team (probably a little more unique than my strips!!)  I hope you play along!
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Christmas Sampler
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Real Red
  • Ink: Memento Black
  • Accessories: Queen & Co. Trendy Tape, Paper Smooches Poinsettia Die, Doodlebug Sprinkles in Ladybug, Limeade and Beetle Black, Hemptique black twine

23 comments:

  1. Loving your loopy bow and the vibrant red and green (and the dots are the perfect finishing touch!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love your CAS style, girl! you make everything look so full and lush,but still keeping your style. What a great design eye you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, love the Washi covered button. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bow is the first thing that caught my eye. Not typical Kim, but SO perfect with that font! Yeah for you using your washi. And your enamel dots!

    BTW, really truly. Walmart came to town, in October their mailbox flyers had all the Halloween items, and trick-or-treating was born.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that black bow is a perfect compliment to the black sentiment and even though I don't do washi, I could do this same design with patterned paper. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't put your own work down! Love the cards you make and your cards are perfect, every card is artistique and all of your embellies is so well thought of!
    Sorry for my Dunglish, but you get my point! :-)
    Your bow, sentiment in black, the strips of colored washitape, the button, well it's all just perfect!!!
    Thanks for inspiring all of us!
    And I almost forgot to mention the sequins, ha, ha, they are THE finishing touch on your pieces of art!!
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim,your card is perfect! I am also a Washi tape lover,and hardly use it! ;) Makes no sence i know...but at least i own it!! haha
    I love...love the black bow and the striped button!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I for one LOVE your smattering of enamel dots every time you use them! The always add just the perfect little touch! I have a love hate relationship with washi myself - love the look of it, but I can never make it "work" for me!!! The card is beautiful - so perfectly clean and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As one who has zero washi tape and maybe three colours of enamel dots/sequins, I am in AWE of everything you create that uses them (technically, I'm just plain in awe of everything you create, whether they're enamel-dotted or washi-taped, or not). Your colours and images here = pretty, and the loopy bow accomplishes exactly what you hoped. This is beautiful!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Kim! What a GREAT card!
    Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so Beastly Clev-ah! Covering that button with Washi tape was genius!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, Kim, this is beautiful! I love the high contrast, and that flower is fab! The twine box is perfect with that particular sentiment...the word "Christmas" looks like it could have been made out of that twine. As simple as this card looks, it obviously took a lot of thought and creative talent to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kim
    Fabulous stunning card.... Love the button
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rocked that bow! Love the washi strips and the enamel dots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once again you've proven that clean and simple doesn't mean boring! LOVE this card and will definitely try some of your ideas. The airy wreath in your previous post is just lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this, Kim! The loopy bow and colored enamel dots are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, so you are meant to 'use' washi... mine tends to sit in a pretty pile lol. Love your fun card Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...maybe I should play with my massive stash of unused washi. This is amazing, Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!