Friday, November 16, 2012

Arsenic and Old Lace

I absolutely love the challenge at Catered Crop: Arsenic and Old Lace.  What a fabulous title for a challenge (AND for a great movie!)  The "lace" part is obvious...the "arsenic" is something a little rugged or rustic, like kraft paper, hemp twine or burlap.

I have to admit that I was reading about this challenge while I was in the mountains (re: an earlier post about lack of a working furnace in my home) and I must have misread it.  On my way home from the mountains, I stopped by Archivers and was hunting for something "rusted" so I found metal embellishments that I liked.  They do have a "rustic" look, right?  Plus, although I didn't notice it at the time, both of the dsps that I chose have a wood look to them.  So, I'm calling it a done deal!!

Lace and rustic is not my normal style (that's why they call them challenges, right?) so I did rely on two different sketch challenge...then I didn't have to focus on that creative element also.

My first card is for my dear friend in hospice.  She lives right smack dab in the middle of the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Have you ever looked at a map of a National Forest or Park and seen one little patch of private land - that's my girlfriend!  So the lace and "rustic" were a perfect combo for her:

There is No One

This card uses the current sketch from Freshly Made Sketches.


I also found another metal embellishment that I liked - a set of Tim Holtz Christmas tokens - so I decided I had to do another Arsenic and Old Lace card!!  Although this sweet image is as far from a mystery/horror movie as is possible!

Old Lace challenge

The sketch for this card comes from Try Stampin' on Tuesday.  


Funny story - I was writing this post, feeling OK but not great about this card.  I brought up Try Stampin' on Tuesday and realized there was a piggyback challenge to use red.  The card that I had at that point included a blue bird - I had photoed and edited the card for this post but was feeling like something was missing - it was a bit dull.  I saw the "red" and knew a little red bird would add a vibrancy that was missing.  Here's the original - you be the judge!

Sweet Winter Scene
No One Like You
  • Stamps: Papertrey Ink Larkspur (sentiment)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Crushed Curry, Core-dinations blue, My Mind's Eye Miss Caroline Dilly Dally Curious Plank Paper
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Smokey Shadow, Chamomile Vintage Touch
  • Accessories: graphic 45 Metal Butterfly, MME Follow Your Heart Be Amazing Twine, misc lace
Bird on a Post
  • Stamps: Elzybells (this company is gone, but Elisabeth Bell designs for other companies and has digis!)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Blue Bayou, Soft Suede, TPC Studio Woodland Winter Snowflake Stripe
  • Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Copics, Stampin' Up Soft Sky (just sponged on the edges of the white)
  • Accessories: Tim Holtz Christmas Muse Tokens, Spellbinders Label die, Martha Stewart Crystal Fine Glitter (on Suede scallops), misc lace, ribbon and twine

20 comments:

  1. Both cards are wonderful. I love the vintage feel to the first one and on the second I like how you used that Tim Holtz embellishment. I have a whole pack of those somewhere just waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both card's are gorgeous. Have a good weekend. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZERS. Both are super gorgeous. I really just love the lil girl card...it's darling.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting...super appreciate ya ;0)

    Be blessed, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the papers that you used. The little red bird is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your papers give just the right amount of rustic and the little pieces of lace add a lovely trim. The little pop of red on the bird does give it a lift. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fabulous cards, Kim! I love the addition of the red bird! Just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have definitely "nailed" (giggle ... pardon the pun!) this challenge! Love both! How do you do it? A style that is not familiar ... Yet you still create a masterpiece! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cards are amazing and I love the lace! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these cards are great. I love the paper you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Red bird is just the ticket!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I love the addition of the red bird! And your first card....it is to die for beautiful! Wow! I'm sorry to have missed so many posts, you are so talented and I'll try to be better at letting you know that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both cards. Especially love the sentiment on your Freshly Made card. Thanks for joining us and sharing your card with us at Try Stampin on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rusted or rustic, it looks pretty fantastic to me! And I'll vote for the red bird!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim! Your card is so beautiful! It's a perfect combination of lace and rustic! I love it! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both stunning cards Kim - the pop of red is just the right touch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of your cards are GORGEOUS. Love your take on the sketches. Also loving all the elements you used and the lace you used is FAB too.
    Michaela xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What incredible talent! Both cards are show-stoppers! The papers, colors and embellishments are so perfectly coordinated. Thanks for sharing with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both cards are great. Love the papers, colors and stamps used. Nice Job. Thanks for playing along at Try Stampin on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This image is too cute! Love your card - the colours are awesome. Thanks for playing at Try Stampin'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!