Saturday, March 15, 2014

Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: Farm Fresh

It's time for a new challenge at Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge and it's time to go Farm Fresh!!


Our sponsor this week is Taylored Expressions!  They were kind enough to give each member of the design member our pick of a petite stamp set.  With the theme in mind, I fell in love with their kitschy kitchen set.



I spent summers of my very, very early years on my grandparents' farm in eastern South Dakota.  Besides farming, they also had Hereford cows and I was told that for years their was a picture in the state capital of one of their prize-winning Herefords with a little blonde girl on its back - that would be me!!

I have very few specific memories, but a lot of impressions.  I remember being scared of the chicken coop, the dark and never-used dining room and the steep and squeaky stairs to the upstairs bedrooms.  I remember loving the cool and shady strawberry patch, the long tree-lined walk to the field when we carried grandpa's lunch to him, and I most definitely remember the kitchen.

My memory of the kitchen is simply that it was spacious, smelled great, and that it had a large booth-type table inset into the wall. It's probably my strongest memory, so I have to imagine that there were happy times in that kitchen! I do wonder if it really was as large as I remember it, but my mother had told me that grandma could easily feed a dozen farm-hands.

Here is one of the few pictures that I have of that time.  This my great-grandmother, mother, me and grandma in the farmhouse living room.



Given those memories, I had to work with the Taylored Expressions Kitschy Kitchen set!

Warm My Heart

I do hope you play along with our Farm Fresh challenge. You don't have to use Taylored Expressions stamps, but you do get your choice of two petite sets if you win!  The challenge is open until March 25th with winners announced on March 31st.

18 comments:

  1. Super cuteness and Happy Bornday, Miss Lady!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card Kim. Love that stove and the colors... the sweet little hearts are perfect. PS: Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect card to go with those SWEET memories Kim!! Happy birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super neat photo...love it and your card!
    happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo, story and card :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Kim!!!! Hope you have a fantastic day! ADORABLE card and fun post! Enjoyed reading your childhood memories and seeing the photo from when you were a wee little one! Such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute card. Great picture. I lived in South Dakota myself for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very... heartwarming. Love it Kim. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable card. Happy Birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous image you have conjured up of the farm house. And the four generation photo is so special. I can totally see why you went with the kitchen theme, and I just love how the card turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I just spotted on the Curtain Call blog that it's your birthday!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable and even more meaningful because of your shared memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so sweet! Love the colours you used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Precious memories and cherished very much I guess!
    Fab card as always!
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, Kim! Your memories of time spent on your grandparents' farm as stirred memories of my own. The chicken coop frightened me, as well; but the barn...oh, how I loved the barn. We fed the calves with pails of milk, played for endless hours in the loft, searching for kittens in the bales of hay. My grandmother was an outstanding baker of the most decadent desserts imaginable...your stove image reminds me of time in her kitchen as well. Homemade cinnamon buns...and saskatoon pie...LOVE your card!! Absolutely love it!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim this is such a sweet card and such wonderful memories--and photo too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!