Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Soft Kitties and Snowflake Blessings

There is nothing particularly unique or creative about the cards that I am sharing today except for the amount of thought that I put it into each of them (or perhaps it was simply avoidance.)

I have shared many cards with you that I have been sending to my long-time friend in hospice care.  Tammy passed away on November 29th.  It was what she chose and her death ended a long period of suffering.  I have spoken to her husband many times by phone, but I haven't sat down and made a card.  I've thought it about it daily, but just haven't gotten it done.  It's amazing how much harder cards are when they have to have meaning to the recipient (vs. all the cards that I make for design teams and challenges that I may or may not use someday.)

Tammy and Jeff made the decision not to have children, but Tammy had cats - and those cats were definitely her children!  I wasn't entirely certain how Jeff felt about the cats until my last visit in October when he showed me how he played tag with Blossom.  He would run around the house like a crazy man and that cat would take off after him...they stalked each other...they surprised each other...Jeff laughed...and I was so glad to see it.  So, whether or not it is the common thing to do, my sympathy card for Jeff HAD to have a cat in tribute of his wife and my friend...

Sympathy
This is a very deliberately simple card.  A few flowers in honor of Tammy, but no frills for Jeff.  Jeff is a firefighter and spends his free time helping his dad with the cattle - frills would not have worked.
Then I moved on from this card and started thinking what I could do for him for Christmas.  "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" just didn't work.  I decided upon a single snowflake based upon a sentiment I found in my stash.
Snowflakes are kisses
sent from above,
falling from heaven
to show God's great love.
Xmas Blessings


Thank you to the following challenges who made these difficult cards a little easier to make.

CAS - Colours & Sketches

The Paper Players: CAS Snowflakes

CAS-ual Fridays: Even the Score.  (I had punched the snowflake and stamped the sentiment, but it looked too empty.  A few score lines filled it in and kept it all very simple!)



Sympathy
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Summer Solstice (sentiment), Hampton Arts cat
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Ocean Tides, Stampin' Up Summer Starfruit, Naturals White, Pink Paislee Indigo Bleu
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Ocean Tides, Stampin' Up Going Gray
  • Accessories: MME Follow Your Heart twine
Christmas Blessings
  • Stamps: Hero Arts Greatest Gift, the inside sentiment that I quoted was a set from Clear Dollar Stamps - they are moving to digital stamps and a quick search did not turn up this stamp
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze
  • Accessories: Martha Stewart snowflake punch, Stampin' Up Baja Corduroy button, silver cord



24 comments:

  1. Kim how wonderful are these card's you obviously put alot of thought into them. They are beautiful on all levels. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one is so pretty...but it choked me up. Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful. What a wonderful sympathy sentiment. I'll definitely be using that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are not only beautiful, but will be treasured, Kim!! You have put loving thoughts and great sensitivity into creating your cards...in creating, good for you...in receiving of Tammy's husband, love felt and appreciated! Lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cat card is perfect! I am in love with the snowflake card...the score lines are a great addition to the CAS design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, this was so sad to read but the thought behind these cards will mean so much. They are stunning both in design and in your kindness in making them. I am sure they will be cherished. Thank you for sharing this with us and joining us at CAS- Colour and Sketches. I am glad our sketch helped in making this and my prayers are with you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, sensitive cards, Kim. I'm sure Jeff will appreciate the thought you put into each one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, your cards are beautiful and thoughtful, and I'm sure they will mean the world for your friend's husband.
    Thanks so much for playing with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are so thoughtful Kim and will surely bring comfort to your friend. Thanks for sharing what, I'm sure, were difficult cards to make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, I am so sorry for the loss of a dear friend. What a treasure your friendship must have been and how wonderful that you were able to transfer that thoughtfulness to these beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing them will us at The Paper Players. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can hear the sadness in your voice, Kim. I do hope you are comforted in your sorrow. I am sure Jeff will realise how much heart went into both of these gorgeous cards! I do so love that sentiment on card 1 and the one you chose for the Christmas card is perfect too! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim
    Gorgeous cards..... Sorry to hear about Tammy....
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry about your friend, Kims. I think your cards for Jeff speak of your love for Tammy in their thoughtful simplicity. He will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful cards and words with us at CAS - Colours and Sketches this week - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a loving tribute to someone so special to you, they're beautiful. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both beautiful cards and I love that they were so personal. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to a special person than something made and designed just for them. Thank you for choosing to use our sketch

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are both beautiful cards and I love that they were so personal. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to a special person than something made and designed just for them. Thank you for choosing to use our sketch

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thoughtful and lovely cards...both of them. It IS hard to make a card when you are close like that....you want it to be "just right" and I am sure these are "just perfect"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderfully thoughtful Kim, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your cards are wonderful and I'm sure he is really going to love them :) Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Popping back to congratulate you, Kims, for the shoutout from CFC for your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome cards, Kim! Great punch work and scoring on your Paper Players card. Thank you so much for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great card! Love how you used this punch and the corduroy button.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!