Monday, November 10, 2014

Little Owls with the Curvy Keepsake Die

I am in love with the Curvy Keepsake Box Thinlit by Stampin' Up.  I gushed when I made these pumpkins on an earlier post.  I don't do a lot of gift boxes or dimensional crafting so I need tools to make it easy and this one does.  Not only that, but there are incredibly talented designers who do amazing things with this die.  Just search on Pinterest and you'll be amazed at what comes up!

Yesterday, we had a nice dinner with my brother and family since they will be gone on Thanksgiving.  I have two nieces - Natasha is 9 and Karina is 6.  I made pumpkins for them for Halloween and I wanted to have a Thanksgiving gift made for last night, but not overtly Thanksgiving since it feels a little early. I found these owls by Debbie.  I don't often post a total CASE but these are absolutely charming!  Debbie's came out a little taller and not quite so chubby - I think I stuffed them a little full of candy treats!!

Little Owls

We had a classic meal - but before the meal, my little 14-year old gourmet put together an hors d'oeuvres tray.  I just had to show you this because he was quite particular about what went on it and it took us three stores to get it right.  I'm sure for many of you, this is a fairly normal tray - but my guy is 14..... and a he's a guy!  And he's being raised by a meat and potatoes father and a mother who grew up with hot dishes, jello and Hamburger Helper!  This isn't just meat, cheese and olives.  According to my son, it had to have uncured soppressata and peppered salami, garlic marinated mushrooms, Castelvetrano olives (although apparently I got the wrong kind - I was told they have to have pits to get the full flavor), and Peppadew sweet piquante peppers.  My favorite were the little skewers which have a cube of aged gruyere and a chunk of Cipollini onion (which we got at the olive bar at the grocery store so I'm not sure if they were roasted or what).  These taste like little bits of French onion soup and are heavenly.  My mouth is still watering!


After dinner, we played a rousing game of Left, Right, Center.  I'd never played it with 6 and 9-year olds and it was SO fun!!  It's a silly little game - perfect for young children, or older merry-makers after a few alcoholic beverages.  I was having too much fun to get a camera, but the image of eight people leaning over the table yelling "left" or "right" - the most intense being the 6-year old - and the image of my SIL who lost her chips early and sat there wondering what was so fun - and then almost winning - it was a great night!


Here's a link to the box  and the scallop die.  I also used miscellaneous circle punch, hole punch and banner punch (snipped off to make the nose), and a retired ribbon.

20 comments:

  1. I love your pumpkins and these adorable owls Kim. Sounds like a delightful dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to applaud and rejoice over in your post. Your 'plump' owls are absolutely darling; I can picture your nieces jumping with glee when they saw them. Your son's culinary skills: AH-MAZING! And even more given he's but 14. Will pursuing culinary arts be in his future, because he certainly has both the knack and the passion? In awe...he's certainly blessed with the creativity of his mom. The after-supper game sounds like fun; a Christmas gift idea for my niece and nephew. Fabulous post that has me wearing a mega smile!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chubby owls are adorable!!! SOunds like a wonderful evening and always enjoy a good game :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. games are the best and the ones that make you laugh ....even better!
    You have one very creative chef on your hands! Looks and sounds delicious,how fun for you! Nice job! ( to your son)
    The turkey treat boxes are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These little owls are just adorable, Kim ... and made even more special by being filled with treats! Yummy hors d'oeuvres (talented son!) ... sounds such a fun evening! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTE and CUTE!!! We play family games on Thanksgiving too and I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those owls are so cute, Kim!! Sophisticated hors d'oeuvres tray. Are you sure he's just 14? ;) There's nothing like a rousing game of LRC or anything else when the family gets together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These dies are going to be sold out thanks to you, Kims! Your plump owls are so stinkin' cute! And your 14 yo gourmand? I see a future famous chef!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those boxes are so sweet Kim. I've just got my die today and was thinking about doing a project at the school with it next week. These would be perfect. Might just have to take this idea...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute, I just have to have to have that die!!! I laughed over the LRC, as we play it too, and have had great fun this summer with the grandkids playing it!! I enjoyed your post, and now you have me looking for those "onion thingies" at our olive bar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those owls are ADORABLE!!!!!!

    Check out your boy! That's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your owls are simply delightful! Also, the appetizers look awesome—your son is going to make some girl awfully happy one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my, these are PINTEREST worthy and fantastically cute. Love olives :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AMAZING owl !! LOVE the food too, I have the set of containers!! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. FABULOUS owls Kim!!! I have a sister Karina!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, we love Left, Right, Center! We'll prob be playing it over Thanksgiving! Love your cute owls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!