Sunday, March 2, 2014

WPlus9 Birthday Celebration: Stretch It

For week 4 of WPlus9's Birthday Celebration, they are challenging us all to "stretch it" - to try a different style or a technique that we haven't done before.  I have avoided stencils and paste like the plague but I love what I am seeing with them, so that was clearly the technique that I needed to try.  I wandered over to Hobby Lobby because I knew they had a number of stencils in their scrapbook section.  Funny enough, just when stencils appear to be hitting it big in blogland, Hobby Lobby had all of them on clearance including the pastes!  I found raindrops and I knew that I had a WPlus9 set that fit them perfectly.

Hang In There

The technique isn't nearly difficult as I had imagined.  Find something to smear a little bit on - an old credit or gift card works great.  It does take a little time to dry.  (After I had done this one and let it dry, I realized that the raindrops come a little too far in for balance and they are too "regular", but I don't have time to let another one dry.)  Then carefully lift the stencil straight up.  Set it out of the way of any place you might accidentally set something on it or a where a cat could walk across it....trust me!

The paste that Hobby Lobby had on sale is pearlescent and I like it for raindrops.


Hang In There close

The stamp set is WPlus9's Heartfelt Mix.  I bought the whole darn set for that line on which to hang things.  Not that I don't use the hearts, clouds and sentiments that are also in the set - but that line is really cute.  I have used it for birds, for pennants and for baby clothes - not just with the hearts that come with it!

The colors are also out of my comfort zone.  Crazy 4 Challenges came up yesterday to use Pantone's IT color of the year.  One look at it and I realized it was Stampin' Up's old Marvelous Magenta (at least that's the way it looks on my monitor!)  You could also add gray and white - I have two grays (even though it looks black) - Steel Gray and Grout Gray.


I'm off to finish up final projects in my courses.  The classes in this program run two for two months (instead of the more typical four for four months) - so I am at the end of a term.  I don't have the words to tell you how ugly this term has been, 60 to 70 hours a week, not to mention issues with the curriculum and the professors.  After I submit everything sometime before midnight tonight, I have a week off!   I am so looking forward to visiting everyone's blog and seeing what you have been doing.  I've missed you all!
  • Stamps: WPlus9 Heartfelt Mix
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Marvelous Magenta, My Favorite Things Steel Gray
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Marvelous Magenta, My Favorite Things Steel Gray and Grout Gray
  • Accessories: Prima Raindrop stencil, Creative Imaginations Modeling Paste, My Favorite Things Grout Gray button, Hemptique 10-lb white twine, corner rounder

18 comments:

  1. Wow Kim... what a great effect.
    ... and a awesome message.
    Beautiful card!
    Hugs
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card, Kim! Your embossing-paste shimmery raindrops are lovely, as is the orchid-coloured heart. Applauding that your 'ugly term' is coming to a close and that you'll have a well-deserved week off before embarking on another round. You are such an inspiration - with cards and with pursing your education goals. Impressive? Only x a zillion!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and fresh! Love the raindrops,so eye catching! My kitty would be all over it,she does have the knack of knowing when I'm working with paint/paste. she loves to lay on it! LOVE the orchid background paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omigosh, the pearlescent paste makes for awesome raindrops; thanx for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be the first, but I hope it's not the last time you use embossing paste and stencils because this is gorgeous!! I don't see it off balance at all, just a whole lot of wow factor! Good luck with your final push today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning!! You did a wonderful job using the embossing paste. So far all I have ever used mine for is snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific card Kim and I LOVE your raindrops!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is terrific, Kim. I love doing the embossing paste but now I want some of that pearlescent. I looks great for raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A stunning card Kim, fabulous colour and I so love those shimmery raindrops. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those raindrops are shimmer-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW. This is gorgeous! I love the color but those raindrops are show stealers for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this, Kim! That raindrop stencil is the bomb with that embossing paste! WOW! Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! Love the pegged heart, and I can see why you bought the full set just for the line, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those shimmery pearlescent raindrops, Kim ... so gorgeous with the magenta heart! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one gorgeous card! I imagine you will be doing many more cards with stencil and paste. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!