Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pals Paper Arts: Happy Birthday Feathers

It's a big birthday month for the Curtain Call design team.  We had two birthdays last week, and this week's birthday is Christina from SeaGlass Papercrafts.

Happy Birthday Christina!!!

HB Feather

I challenged myself with the colors on this card.  They are from Pals Paper Arts and uses one of the colors that taunts me - it just sits there and whispers "I bet you can't use me"!!!  Summer Starfruit - my nemesis!  I'm OK with this card - but I think Summer Starfruit still beat me!


The sequins are Iridescent Chocolate from Ellen Hutson. The iridescence makes it really hard to take pictures.  I loved them during Halloween because my lighting set-up would cause them to flash purples and greens and blues - so fabulous for Halloween cards!  They don't flash quite that much under normal lighting.

HB Feather Close

It is funny how things work out.  Just this past week, I've been studying my paper collection.  I have a shelf that houses all of the current Stampin' Up and Papertrey Ink cardstock.


I use Poly Project View Folders to keep my cardstock (I get mine at Office Depot). They are heavy weight folders that are open on two sides - so it's very easy to keep the cardstock and all of the scraps in one place.  I arrange them in a rainbow, then I can easily find and grab the colors that I want.

The problem is that I am bringing another brand into my collection and I do not have room!!!!  I have been loving the colors and inks (and buttons and felt and ribbon) available through My Favorite Things and have slowly started to add to my collection each time that I order stamps or dies from them. So I was studying my shelf and trying to figure out what to do.  One of my thoughts was that I would put colors that I simply never use on a shelf that's a little further away and out of reach. I started pulling colors and figuring out how many there were.  There actually weren't as many as I thought so that idea failed - but I did realize that I have some colors that I need to conquer - and Summer Starfruit was high on my list of colors that fill me with dread!

So what's so funny about this?  As a total coincidence, there are TWO current challenges using Summer Starfruit.  The Pals Paper Arts challenge above and Stampin' Royalty which I am using on a card tomorrow.  And as an added bonus, today's card uses Crisp Cantaloupe which I had never even opened. (That wasn't so much out of fear of the color, rather just the season - I would hope to use more in the spring!)

Now if a challenge would use SU Pistachio Pudding or PTI's Ocean Tides and Spring Moss - I would be in great shape!

  • Stamps: WPlus9 Fanciful Feathers, Simon Says Stamp Happy Sentiments
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Crisp Cantaloupe, Early Espresso
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Crisp Cantaloupe, Summer Starfruit
  • Accessories: Ellen Hutson Iridescent Chocolate sequins, Simon Says Stamp Happy die

14 comments:

  1. Awesome card! Love the splash of blue! Certainly is a happy card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, Kim!! Great card design and I like the sprinkle of sequins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I think YOU beat Summer Starfruit to a pulp!! I LOVE the combo - in fact, before I read your post, my immediate reaction was "wow - amazing colour combo"!! You totally rocked it! (I think Summer Starfruit wants to be your friend ;) ha ha!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer Starfruit is definitely scary but somehow manages to look great when it makes appearance - like on your card! Cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer starfruit has met it's match in you Kim!! THis is wonderful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the colors,Kim! Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE how you played in the PPA challenge! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I like your use of your nemesis (I love that you call it that!). I think it is a beautiful card and you used the colors perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card! And I love your paper organization! :) Thanks for playing with us at Pals Paper Arts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CAS goodness! Just beautiful in its simplicity. Love it! Thanks for having fun with the PALS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely *bested* summer starfruit! Gorgeous card and you're convincing me more and more to join the feather trend...
    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks for the birthday wishes, even if I am terribly late in acknowledging them! I am slowly working my way through 1300+ unread blog posts, and my OCD self won't let me just "mark all as read". LOL! You certainly didn't let Summer Starfruit get the best of you, and I'm in awe of anyone who can use it skillfully. The simple feather accent and chocolate sequins are perfect, too! Thanks again for the birthday shout-out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!