Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Catered and deconstructed: Thankful for You

The new challenge at Catered Crop is "Thank You Kindly".  As I was browsing the Pinterest board that Linda curates for each challenge, I noticed a "thankful" card which reminded me that I had a set in my new stash that I had gotten specifically to tell my nieces how thankful I am for them.

My brother and his family recently moved to a nearby suburb.  It was so easy to pop over last Sunday to watch the Denver Broncos football game together.  My 8-year old and 5-year old nieces spent the afternoon making bracelets and necklaces for me on their rainbow looms, or else dragging my 13-year old out to the trampoline.  They spent hours working on flips - hmmm, my guy was out sick from school yesterday with an upset stomach - I wonder if it's related?  In the next few weeks, I get to go to grandparent's day at their school (sadly, they have no living grandparents so I'm subbing) and to their Christmas pageants.

I love my nieces and have so much fun with them as it is so different from my world of teenage boys. The It's a Sign set from My Favorite Things seemed like it would be perfect for so many occasions!

Thankful for You

I am using the current deconstructed sketch.  I thought the angled panel gave it a jaunty look.  I was thrilled when I found that bold and colorful leaf print in my stash for the tall panel (but the edge with the brand was cut off so I have no idea what it is!)


I'm sure everybody does this - but I wanted to share something in particular about the Pierced Rectangle die from My Favorite Things.  The die was a little too wide for the stamp.  So I just moved the die over and cut it a little narrower.  What makes the Pierced Rectangle die so nice is that the dots just click into place as you slide the die over.  It makes it very easy to line up and cut the narrow size!


The other thing that I have to share is that I have finally found truly white embossing powder.  I have a large variety of "white" embossing powders, but they are actually all off-white or cream.  As a CAS cardmaker, the little things matter - and using as much white cardstock as I do, the off-white powders look wrong. I have a bottle that I am hoarding, from a company that no longer exists, but as I am starting to see the bottom of the bottle, I ordered even more white embossing powder in the hopes that it was "white"!  And I found two that were!  They aren't unusual brands, just not the brands that I already had in my stash.  Hero Arts White Embossing Powder is white - yay!  But the even better find is Wow Opaque Bright White Super Fine Embossing Powder.  Because it is Super Fine, sentiments emboss beautifully (see my card!)
  • Stamps: My Favorite Things Pure Innocence It's a Sign
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Island Indigo and River Rock dsp, Papertrey Ink Raspberry Fizz, unknown dsp
  • Ink: Memento Black and Copics, Versamark
  • Miscellaneous: My Favorite Things Pierced Rectangle STAX, elements from Blueprints 1 die, Hemptique 10-lb white twine

19 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts, Kim. Always interesting! So glad family has moved closer to you too. Your nieces will love this card. Love the bold strip, and have taken note of your embossing powder and the tip about making the stitched frame fit. Tfs! Beautiful card. Just fun and happy. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kim, lots of useful information. Love your card today that image is just too sweet! Loving the blue button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Cute card Kim and how sweet of you to step in and sub for your little nieces! I love my brother's (only sibling) two girls to bits too and they have such a close special relationship with our son. thanks for the die cutting and embossing powder info, very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is gorgeous Kim! Thanks for the enabling on the embossing powder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness...A MEGA button!! I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness...A MEGA button!! I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, so sweet! Nieces are the best! Just wondering when they are going to get Auntie Kim on the trampoline?!! Oh and a just spotted your beautiful starfruit snowflake card featured as a fave over at Freshly Made Sketches!!! Does this mean I get to say I told you so?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that your brother's family has moved closer, because being a nearby Aunty to your nieces sounds like a dream for both you and the girls. I must say, I'm a wee bit green with envy, as my darling niece and nephew are four hours away..sighh... Pretty, perfect-for-your niece card! She will be thrilled! Your tips on the dies and embossing powder: thank you!! What a great trip I've had catching up on your last four posts: enlightening, entertaining, engaging and just plain awesome!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, your card colors are so fun and festive! Aren't girly cards so much fun to create?! I'm glad to hear of a truly white EP because my current jar is more of a cream color. Will have to check out the Wow brand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable, Kim! I'm loving that big ole button! :)
    Thanks for the extra tips! You always have such helpful ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just too cute, Kim! I admire your skills and craftsmanship---so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute, Kim! Love the sweet PI image and take on the sketch! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Deconstructed Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is the sweetest Kim, love how you have tied your colours in with that fabulous design paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Love the colors of the card so much!
    We just bought for my son bracelet loom kit too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, what a sweetie of a card. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is too cute, and love the bright colors, Kim! I'll bet your nieces will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!