Saturday, April 20, 2013

Get Well Quilts

When I was young, I had a "sick quilt".  It only came out when I didn't feel well.  One side was silky smooth and the other was rougher with hand-tied tufts.  I remember my mom saying that she could tell just how sick I was by which side I was cuddling with.  As an adult, I've tried to find a new "sick" quilt for my family - but it just never has measured up to my childhood blankie.

WPlus9 recently came out with a quilt-building set that I just had to have for get well cards.  This first card is a tribute to my blankie.  I am not sure that I love it as a card - but I do love it as a memory!  (Check out the little "tufts"!)

Get Well Quilt

I was inspired by the WPlus9 Mood Board.


And I used the sketch from Freshly Made Sketches.


  • Stamps: WPlus9 Quilt Prints, A Pocketful (sentiment)
  • Paper: white and Papertrey Vintage Cream
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Real Red, Gumball Green, Bashful Blue
  • Accessories: WPlus9 Pocketful die, October Afternoon button, cream crochet thread

16 comments:

  1. I love your quilt card! The story was so nice, and I have similar memories, and still have a quilt that brings me comfort when I don't feel well. This stamp set is fabulous, and your design and colors are perfect. Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just fell in love with card the moment I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story and a lovely memory, Kim (of the quilt, not of being sick!) ... love the tribute card, 'specially with the tufts! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, your story is just so sweet! and your card is too, I love your quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your story and card as well. Love it how you ended up with. Thanks for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the memories, Kim! Your quilt card is gorgeous with its CAS design, colors, and little ties of crochet thread! The black stitches really make the colors pop! Blessings, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww....what a neat childhood memory...

    Your card is wonderful....the colors are great and I love the idea of combining the white with the vintage cream....awesome quilty card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful clean and simple! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, your quilt story is heart-warming, and immediately kindled memories of my favourite comfort toy - my raggle-taggle tawny-coloured, crazy-maned, tassle-tailed, green-eyed lion. Oh, but he was a great source of cuddles and snuggles, along with being the best secret-keeper ever!! He even endured the washing machine, when my mom convinced me that he 'wanted' a bubble bath! Love your card; love the memory it evoked. Thank you too for letting me know about the TAWS shoutout. I'm so honoured! Hmmm...maybe I should order even more stamps (waiting for some to arrive; hope it's this week)...Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday.
    c

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card. Wonderful memories. Love how you've 'tied' off your quilt card! Really sweet. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that this board evoked childhood memories! Love your use if that sketch (looks fun btw)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story Kim! Your card is fresh and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your quilt story! I wish my kids were young again so that I could do this too! I just want to snuggle under this gorgeous creation. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely story behind your card. It's come out so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATS on your Wplus9 win too Kim :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!