Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Celebrating with a Very Special Man

There is a very special man celebrating his 72nd birthday this week.  When his entire church family gathered to celebrate his 60th birthday, no one thought he would survive the year.  He has been fighting cancer for 12 years while still being a faithful and active church member; a caring husband, father and grandfather; and taking part in an incredible number of treatment trials that are sure to benefit tens of thousands of others.  Just this month, he was honored by the Melanoma Research Foundation with the Courage award.

Bill is passionate about his classic Porsche.  I've never seen it - so have no idea if this looks like a Porsche.  But I got this set years ago, strictly to use for his birthday and thought it was a perfect time to bring it out again!

Celebrate with Balloons

I haven't seen Bill in quite some time.  My husband and I talk about inviting he and his wife for dinner, but then there's another e-mail about him undergoing yet another surgery.  As I was making this card, I realized (as I do every year) that I might not be making another one next year.  I'm putting this in the mail - and then I'm making a phone call!!

This card plays along with this week's Just Add Ink.  

  • Stamps: Close to My Heart Roadtrip (old!), L'il Inkers Balloon Builders, misc sentiment and star
  • Paper: Stampin' Up More Mustard, Midnight Muse, Crumb Cake
  • Ink: Stampin' Up More Mustard, Midnight Muse, Rich Razzleberry
  • Accessories: L'il Inker Balloon dies, Studio Calico Wood Veneer, Papertrey Ink Woodgrain Impression Plate, May Arts twine

16 comments:

  1. Kim he sounds like a wonderful and strong man. Make that phone call! This card is perfect in every way and I love the little wooden arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never get rid of that car (unless you're going to send it to me) - it's so perfect! It's retro and modern and FUN! I'm sure Bill will appreciate this card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect card from an incredibly caring person for quite the inspiring man! Thank you for sharing Bill's triumphs and spirit with us; he sounds remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an astonishing man, Kim, such an inspiration ... and what a brilliant celebratory card ... and yes, it's looks stylised Porsche to me! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card for your special friend, Kim. I LOVE your use of the challenge colours, and it's great to have you playing along with us at Just Add Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill sounds like a very special guy and surely deserves your very special card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, this is just so sweet. I wish Bill a wonderful birthday, he really sounds like a fabulous gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story about a fantastic man :) I'm glad to hear he's done so well and is helping others at the same time - that takes a special sort of person.

    He is going to LOVE this card! I hope he enjoys his birthday and you get to see him soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful reason to pull out your stamp set Kim and it's such a great card, l'm sure it will be appreciated! lovely use of the challenge colours, thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet you are! I am sure he will love this card. Great colors, and I love the little wooden chevrons, they add perfect movement to your car! I have a 90 year old "boyfriend" at church. He gives me a hug every Sunday, and is going strong. His birthday is in June, and I will make him a special card. Blessings to you for being a wonderful,caring person! : ) Bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kim
    Fabulous card... Love the image....
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dontcha just love when the statistics are beaten!! What an inspiring story and gentleman he must be :0)
    Love the sleek card pulling those balloons.
    Jenny x

    P.S did you receive an email saying that 'adding to Pinterest' has been added to a future update to Feedly... yippeee :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful story Kim and I hope your card finds him well.

    Lovely card, the balloons, the colours, the embossing all comes together in a truly professional finished job. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!