Friday, November 23, 2012

Unca Dirt and Cookies

My brother's birthday was on Thanksgiving.   I actually made this card early but couldn't post it.  Last year, I made a card with a wolf on it and I posted it when I made it.  When we got together to celebrate, he held the unopened envelope to his forehead, closed his eyes - and said "I see a wolf".  My jaw dropped.  Turns out they read my blog...my jaw dropped even further!!  (Love you guys!!!)

To my children he is "Uncle Kurt", but when they were younger they didn't quite get his name right.  One child called him "Cookie" - that's pretty sweet.  If you say "Uncle Kurt" you can hear all of those "K" sounds and understand where "Cookie" comes from.

My other son's name for him didn't come out quite as sweet - "Unca Dirt".  But...I was doing a happy dance over this nickname when I realized that I had a stamp that said "Happy Dirtday"!!

Happy Dirtday

The "dirtday" stamp comes from a Stampin' Up set called I Dig You - but the trucks in it seemed too young.  He's my younger brother but given how old I am, he is no spring chicken either!  I found an old Close To My Heart set called Little Builders that had more rugged trucks and he'll like the jeep as he used to do all of that rock-hopping, crazy jeep stuff. (Before he had two charming little girls who depend on him!!)

I used the sketch from Try Stampin' on Tuesday:


Guess what?  I did it!  For the first time IN MY LIFE, I experienced Black Friday (but it started on Thursday).  It was a strange and unique experience that I don't care to repeat.  Although I did learn from the people around me who became great friends in the 4 hours of sitting in the candy aisle at Walmart waiting for a TV to go on sale - that Walmart does Black Friday well.  First, we didn't have to wait outside in the cold.  Second, they had items distributed throughout the store and gave you maps when you walked in so you knew where to wait.  Third, the people from the food court had coffee carts they wheeled around the store!  I bet they have full-time staff that works all year on strategic planning for Black Friday.  I did witness one fight over crockpots - seriously??!!  My kids were bored...but we got everything on our list!!

Untitled

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up I Dig You, Close to My Heart Little Builder (old)
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Dark Chocolate, Stampin' Up Night of Navy, the Paper Studio (Hobby Lobby brand) Stonewashed
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Dark Chocolate, Stampin' Up Night of Navy and Crumb Cake
  • Accessories: Creative Impressions Metal Loops, Stampin' Up Night of Navy Taffetta, EK Success border punch

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous card love the layout and design. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's serious black fridaying!! Well done on getting all your list.

    Loving Unca Dirt's card. Superbly masculine and fun. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave lady! And to take your boys with you? Doubly brave! Glad you had a good shopping experience. Love the jeep and the story about Uncle Dirt! I wonder if they still have those stamps? I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story about you brother! All the details made me smile. Great card! I imagine your Black Friday is like our Boxing Day sales. HUGE! Or ... Do you have Boxing Day sales too? Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card, I love the colors of this masculine card and great image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool masculine card. I think he will love it! Great papers. Thanks for playing along with the TSOT sketch challenges

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great masculine card. I hope that your brother was a little more surprised this year, and not snooping to see what he was going to get. Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Try Stampin on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous guy card-LOVE that DP! I also the love the story of your brother's nickname, and what a perfect sentiment to celebrate his birthday. So glad you could join us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!