Monday, October 22, 2012

Peace with TAWS Trees Company

There are so many fun and funky trees and birds in the set by The Alley Way Stamps called Trees Company.  You can tell by the name that it is a lot of fun.  But tucked in the set is also a pine branch and a solid shape that could be a leaf or a pine cone.

TAWS Peace

I thought that the ornament idea would work perfectly with the sketch from clean & simple stamping.


To get a dimensional effect on the pine branches and pine cones they are inked in a lighter color then thumped with a darker color pen.  As a last step I added some sparkly stickles.

Yesterday I showed you a funky Nebraska photo from my road trip last week.  Here is a classic South Dakota photo...
Mt. Rushmore
I grew up in the shadow of Mt. Rushmore and I would think that at some point I would get tired of it - but it still gives me a thrill every time that I see it.  This time was particularly wonderful as it was the first time that my son remembered seeing it. 
Having said that, he was much more excited with the next stop on our tourist trip - Reptile Gardens!
Reptile Gardens

The Black Hills is an odd mix of beauty and tourist traps.  You have to know what you are getting into when you go there.  You can look at it as tacky, but I prefer to see it as old-fashioned fun.  If you ever go, don't spend all of your time at the tourist traps - you will miss the beautiful Black Hills!

  • Stamps: The Alley Way Stamps Trees Company, Christmas Magic (sentiment)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Confetti White, Cherry Cobbler, Soft Suede
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Wild Wasabi pad with Garden Green pen, Soft Suede pad with Early Espresso pen, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: Sizzix embossing folder, Spellbinders ornament die, Stampin' Up Soft Suede ribbon and stickles, Theresa Collins Christmas Cottage washi tape

14 comments:

  1. Pretty d...love the embossing!
    Lee-Ann :)
    ps...ugh...snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Kim, love your ornament. When we went to Rushmore in 2009 my daughter couldn't wait to see the 'big heads'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great CAS look. Love the embossing and the ornament.

    Be blessed, Beckie
    Stampin' Up Ind Demo
    http://justbcreativecrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tourist info Kim - I really, really want to go! Love your card too, a lovely use of that sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply adorable!!!! great background and love the simple design!!!!
    tfs:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim, such a pretty fresh Christmas card. I love the embossed background! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card, Kim. I love how you've used the ornament die cut. From someone who lives on the other side of the world, Mt Rushmore is one of those classic US images - but I have to confess I never knew it was in South Dakota. So I've learned something today LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic! Love that embossing folder and how it mimics the evergreen boughs. Perfect use of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pretty! I love the embossed snowflakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Kim~I love the embossing and ornament. Wow, I've never been to SD yet...it's breathtaking. I bet your son loved touching that huge snake...ugh. My daughters would have loved it too. Me, not so much. ;) You're a cool mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your card Kim. Beautiful hanging ornament, and wonderful dry embossing!
    I love Mt. Rushmore and we went a few times on our way to WI. from CA. I was in awe each time too! How wonderful to grow up near there its beautiful , and I will always remember how much I loved the area as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is just beautiful, and I love the embossing.
    Mt Rushmore is something I've always wanted to see up close and personal, but I haven't made it there yet! TFS the great photo! PS - you can visit the snakes, I'll pass :) *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet and pretty! Yikes with the snake! I am not so brave that I could do that! The Black Hills are on my list. My sister went there years ago and raved about it. Someday.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!