Friday, June 8, 2012

A Flip Card for a Friend

A very special friend is having a birthday next week.  We have known each other since we were 2 years old!  She has had a rough few years including three bouts with cancer (she's in the middle of chemo right now) and a heart attack.  I won't even get into the family things she deals with but I guarantee it makes all of our lives look easy.  Yet, she is happy...deeply and profoundly happy.  I don't get to see her often as she is a few states away, but I look forward to each and every visit because I learn so much about "attitude" and what a difference it makes.

This card had to be very fun and bright.  It also needed to include a cat as her cat is her baby!  I'm not sure it could be much brighter than this...


Flip Card


I'm hoping the coloring looked better than this in real life but I already sent it so I can't check!

This is a flip card, so when she pulls on it, it does this...


Flip Card


My flip card was a fun find this week at Hobby Lobby.  I hadn't seen that Sizzix dies have a series of flip card dies.  The dies are $30 at Hobby Lobby - be sure to take your 40% off coupon.  I picked up the circle, but Hobby Lobby also had a square, a flower and an elegant frame (the Sizzix website shows even more!). What a quick and easy way to make this fun card!


I also have to share a story and see how many of you can match me for sheer obsession.  Two nights ago we had a storm that felt like the apocalypse!  Constant lightning, thunder that made the house shake...but that's only when you could hear it over the golf-ball size hail.  I'm not kidding...



Here's one of the many pieces that the hail took our of our now totalled camper...



It could have been worse, our neighbor has a big, black hole in their roof from lightning.  And I just talked to a friend who still has snakes crawling in her house because the rain came down so hard and so fast that they got flooded out of their holes!


So...the lightning is flashing, the hail is pounding, my youngest is insistent that we get downstairs due to tornado warnings and the cats are howling in fear - a truly terrible sound.  But I had two cards to make for a blog hop on Thursday morning and nothing was stopping me.  I tuned it all out and crafted as fast as I could - before the power went out!!  How many of you can say they have crafted through the apocalypse!!???

  • Stamps: Lil' Inkers Cutie Cat, Stampin' Up sentiment
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Pumpkin, 7Gypsies dsp (but it came out of an OLD stash)
  • Ink: Memento black, copics
  • Accessories: Sizzix Circle Flip-It die, Crafts Etc embossing folder, Nestabilities circle and flag dies (flag from pennant set), Papertrey Ink button

9 comments:

  1. The card is cute, the hail stone is amazing and your tenacity to craft through a storm is even more extraordinary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy huge hail, Batman! Sounds like your neighbors had a scare, too. I hope they are ok. Wow, that sounds like one crazy storm. The snakes would have me living in a hotel...yikes!

    Love your sweet kitty card! THe bright colors, the pretty patterns and the fun flip design. Adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of stamping up a storm, but not stamping through one--at least not with hail as big as what you show here! I probably would be hiding under my bed with the cat (lol)...
    Please contact me about taking some of my excess cards for your church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kim, it must have been some storm. My hubby has just told me that we are expecting extreme weather tomorrow night, hope it is not as bad as yours. Love you card by the way and the bright colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card, love the bright cheery colors. So glad to hear you survived the storm! I will take the camper being destroyed any day of the week over snakes in the house or the house being struck by lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute card Kim! Glad you survived the storm...that hail is huge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, fun and bright. I'm sure your friend will love it. My goodness now that was a storm! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I thought I was obsessed! Actually I thought of you when I saw the pictures of hail accumulated on the ground. I thought you lived close. I'm glad you didn't suffer any more damage. Did you get your cards done and posted in time? I really love this bright, cute card as I'm sure your friend will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just giggled so hard at the thought of you stamping through such an apocalypse! :) You are a star! Love the colours in this one! I have never been an orange fan ... but this is really changing my mind! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!