Friday, April 13, 2012

Joyful Hearts Hummingbird

Today, over on the Sweet 'n Sassy blog, the design team is taking a look at some of the "older" sets.  I had signed up to do a card for this week's set - Joyful Heart - I love hummingbirds and this set has a gorgeous hummingbird image along with beautiful scripture that works with the image.

I almost immediately regretted signing up for this particular set.  I thought that the set deserved to be showcased by artists with amazing coloring ability.  (I do the basics - and I am just vain enough to believe that I do the "basics" well - but I am NOT an artist!)  As I thought about it - I realized that are only a true few artists out there and the rest of us need other options for creating beautiful cards.  (If you want to see a few true artists, check out the blog link above for three beautifully colored cards.)

I decided to keep the image very simple - and add my colors in the background...



Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps

You can see the stunning detail in the image, but I think the card is still rich and cheerful, even though the hummingbird itself is neutral.

I used the current sketch from the sweetest thing but flipped it sideways:



  • Stamps: Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps Joyful Heart
  • Paper: Stampin' Up More Mustard, Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive, Confetti Tan, Very Vanilla
  • Ink: Versamark
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Antique Ivory Embossing Powder, More Mustard and Cherry buttons, lattice embossing folder and Cherry Cobbler seam binding; Martha Stewart leaf punch

5 comments:

  1. A brilliant solution, Kim! I'm not much of an artist when it comes to colouring either so I must remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, this is gorgeous! I am not one to create beautifully watercolored images either (I wish...sigh) but I really like how you embossed the image in white. Just pops off the Kraft card stock and looks fantastic. I think you are quite te artist with your amazing creativity! Big hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hummingbird in neutral and the color behind. He stands out so beautifully! That's a very artistic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You underplay your talent so well, Kim! I am sure you would have held your own if you chose to do some colouring! BUT ... this is an amazing design. Bright, cheerful ... and fantastic! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!