Sunday, March 20, 2011

Less Is More: Masculine

I think that I finally might be getting rid of the crud that I have had all week because for the first time in a week, an idea popped into my head.  The Less Is More challenge for this week is to do a masculine card and I instantly knew what I wanted to do.  But clearly, I'm still not fully recovered because it took a full 24 hours to get it done.  (You wouldn't believe how many different colors that I tried on the boat!!)  And now I am ready for a nap.

I had used the idea of a strip of color on this card and I wanted to try it in a different way.  I do go through the masking process on that original post if you think you want to try it out for yourself.




You might think that the red on the sailboat is a little odd - but that's our actual boat!!  We keep a sailboat on Lake Dillon which is in Summit County, Colorado - right down the road from the ski areas in Breckenridge and in Keystone.  It is a strange and wonderful experience to sail surrounded by snow-covered peaks.  These pictures are a little old - my little boy has gained about 6 years and I have gained (and lost and gained again) about 20 pounds!!  But do you see the sparkle on the water in the first picture that I am trying to capture in my card...





  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Uncharted Territory, Fifth Avenue Florals (sentiment)
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Bashful Blue, Marina Mist, copics
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Marina Mist, Whisper White
  • Accessories: Stardust and Yellow Stickles

33 comments:

  1. What a lovely bright and cheery card Kim. Love the pictures too. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! Love the masking - off to read about the technique in the other post now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous sentiment, fabulous card Kim!
    The real boat looks fabulous too!
    Thanks for another superb entry to our challenge!
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you are certanly blessed to own a sailboat and to be able to sail in such idyllic surroundings. Your captures the moment well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card, great sentiment. Love the pics too
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card Kim! The masking & the sparkle are brilliant & I love that you used your own boat for inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see that "the crud" has not had any lasting negative effect on your mojo - this card is stunning! You have so perfectly captured that sunshine and sparkle on the water. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice!! Love how you did the water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I think you've done an exceptional job on this card! I ove the sparkly you've added. Beautiful coloring!! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card. The boat is super and you have caught the 'glisten' of the waves perfectly. Love Sheila (Cyprus)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The card is delightful and so are your photos - thanks for sharing

    KAthyk

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a stunning card, love the added sparkle too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow a fab card. The blue masked strip is great and the sail rising above the blue is such a good design. Sentiment is fab x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this looks great, I love the sparkle on that sea. The image is good too, love it. Lucky you being able to sail in such a lovely place:O)Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely serene card. Beautifully done and I think you've achieved that sparkle that is in your photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely PERFECT card! When I first set my eyes on it, I thought, "Wow!" Love the sentiment too! Thanks for sharing some pictures! You are truly blessed to have such beautiful surroundings!! Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super card Kim, the sparkle is fab (as are your photos). x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh i love this card!!!! the shimmer is perfcet and what a fabulous sentiment!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kim this is just divine!
    Love the layout and as for the real boat WOW
    Thanks for joining us
    mandi
    "LEss is More"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your boat both in the pictures and on your card. Photos must hold wonderful memories even if they are old! Zx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a really stunning card

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card Kim. The boat is just right, red white and blue are the perfect nautical colours. The masked strip looks amazing and the real boat doesn't look too bad either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love to mask off a strip too but I'd never thought to fade away in the middle like you have here - it creates a beautiful lighting effect. How lovely to have a sailboat - it looks as if you have a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card, I love how you put a strip of blue on there. Your photos are great too! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a fabulous card. Love the image and the sentiment is great too.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your card. That strip of blue is fabulous and the sentiment looks great where you have it. I've seen so many wonderful sailboat stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really nice and bright masculine card. Perfect! Like the sentiment too.

    Have a great day,
    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabby card - the inking of the water is superb, such an effective technique you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a pretty card! Love the sponging on your card!

    Hugs,
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!